Pompeo says Trump to act on Chinese students

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Pompeo says Trump to act on Chinese students

first_imgTopics : The United States will take action to prevent alleged espionage by Chinese students, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday, ahead of an expected announcement by President Donald Trump.Trump earlier said that he will hold a press conference Friday about China amid soaring tensions between the two powers, including over the status of Hong Kong and the novel coronavirus pandemic.Asked about a report in The New York Times that Trump was considering throwing out thousands of graduate students, Pompeo said that Chinese students “shouldn’t be here in our schools spying.” Asian American activists have long voiced concern that the targeting of Chinese students impacts their own community, with US citizens of Asian ancestry coming under unjustified suspicion.”This isn’t a red scare, this isn’t racist. Chinese people are a great people,” Pompeo said when asked about the concerns.”This is like the days of the Soviet Union. This is a communist, tyrannical regime that poses real risk to the United States,” he said.Trump, in remarks to reporters, declined to preview the press conference on Friday but said, “We’re not happy with China.”The press conference will come two days after Pompeo certified to Congress that Hong Kong was no longer autonomous from China, as promised by Beijing before Britain handed over its colony in 1997.China has been pressing forward the drafting of a security law that Hong Kong activists say will end freedoms enjoyed in the financial capital, which was rocked by months of pro-democracy protests last year.Washington and Beijing are already clashing over responsibility for the extent of the coronavirus pandemic, which originated in China but has spread worldwide and caused devastation in the United States. Domestic critics accuse Trump of mismanagement and say that the 100,000 US deaths and massive unemployment were the result of a slow, patchy federal response to the virus’ spread across the world’s biggest economy.But Trump blames the crisis on China and for a long time insisted on calling the COVID-19 sickness the “Chinese virus.” He has threatened to cut off US funding for the World Health Organization, accusing the UN body of bias toward Beijing and assisting in a cover-up.center_img “We know we have this challenge. President Trump, I am confident, is going to take that on,” Pompeo told Fox News, while declining to say if action would be announced on Friday.”We have an obligation — a duty — to make sure that students that are coming here to study… aren’t acting on behalf of the Chinese Communist Party,” Pompeo said.The New York Times said that the Trump administration was considering annulling visas for thousands of graduate students linked to China’s military.The move would be certain to draw criticism from universities, which rely increasingly on tuition from foreign students — of which China and India are the largest sources — and have already been hit hard by the COVID-19 shutdown.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Ji the hero in Chelsea Ladies win

first_imgJi So Yun came off the bench to grab an 89th minute winner as Chelsea Ladies opened their WSL Cup campaign with a thrilling 3-2 victory over Reading.The South Korean, introduced at 2-1 down, set up the equaliser and then took advantage of slack defending from the WSL 2 side to ensure the Blues began the midweek competition with three points.Chelsea had the better of the first half and looked to be going into half-time in front when Gilly Flaherty headed home Gemma Davison’s corner in the 44th minute.But before the referee could blow the whistle for the break, Reading levelled as former Blues player Becky Jane converted Emma Follis’ cross.Reading took the lead on 58 minutes thanks to Lauren Bruton and Chelsea responded to going behind by bringing on Ji.She played an influential role in the turnaround, floating in a free-kick from which Millie Bright headed home the equaliser, before her dramatic winner.Arsenal, London Bees, Millwall and Watford are the other sides in Chelsea’s group.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Continue Reading

New Zealand beefs up air traffic control

first_imgNew Zealand’s air traffic controller will spend $NZ58m replacing current systems to help it cope with a projected 50 per cent growth in air traffic over the next decade.Airways New Zealand will replace two existing systems with the Leidos Skyline X system over the next four years. The existing air traffic management platforms, installed between 2000 and 2003 are ending their useful lives and will be replaced by the new technology in domestic airspace in 2020 and the following year in oceanic airspace.  The new system will have an expected lifespan of about 15 years.New Zealand has seen a surge in air traffic in the last two years and increased competition to the popular tourism destination has put pressure on airline profitability.Airways NZ has promised to deliver $NZ84m in efficiencies by 2028 and the new system will help achieve that objective.Chief operating officer Pauline Lamb said the new system would allow to implement a new operating model as well as take advantage of advanced tools such as such as medium and long term conflict alerting, time-based separation and arrival and departure management.It would also help optimise staff deployment, she said.“We will be working collaboratively with Leidos to develop this system in a partnership model that will deliver long term savings to our customers,’’ Lamb said in a statement.  “By 2020 the new platform will allow airspace sectors to be operated from two new air traffic control centres in Auckland and Christchurch, in addition to 19 control towers nationwide.’’Software development teams from Airways and Leidos will collaborate on the project with the air traffic manager purchasing the hardware and installing and testing the system. Leidos Civil Group president Angie Heise said technology enhancements in the new system included the introduction of world-class flow management capabilities “ as well as an integrated approach that enables a vision for a single system to support tower, terminal, en-route and oceanic control operations.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Valdez: Vietnam really prepared for us

first_imgAlyssa Valdez is unfazed of THS pic.twitter.com/b8RcX6jluZ— Marc Anthony Reyes (@marcreyesINQ) August 25, 2017KUALA LUMPUR—Alyssa Valdez, one of the country’s most vaunted scorers, was left in awe of Vietnam’s performance after the Philippines lost a crucial group stage match Friday in the Southeast Asian Games.“They really prepared against us. They showed too much energy and confidence against us,” said Valdez in Filipino after the team lost to Vietnam, 26-24, 25-12, 25-23.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBut the 23-year-old Valdez maintained the PH women’s team played well.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program READ: PH volleybelles bow to Vietnam, draw Thailand in semis UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games SEA Games: PH adds silver to lawn bowls medal haul LATEST STORIES “We have no regrets. We gave it our all in today’s game,” added Valdez.“It’s a learning experience for us, for the team and the whole Philippine volleyball,” added Valdez who scored 11 points. “Hopefully this would motivate us against Thailand.”The Philippines will face Thailand in the cross-over semis Saturday.ADVERTISEMENT Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnessescenter_img Read Next MOST READ PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games PLAY LIST 03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH00:50Trending Articles01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games View comments SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s weddinglast_img read more

Continue Reading

Aussies still very vulnerable: Pietersen

first_imgEngland batsman Kevin Pietersen thinks Australia are still “very vulnerable” despite levelling the Ashes series and claims the hosts’ new verbal aggression shows they are “under huge amounts of pressure.”In an interview with English media, Pietersen escalated vocal sparring between the teams, describing England’s 267-run third Test loss at Perth as a “hiccup” and saying they were still confident of an historic series win.Australia have credited their third Test win to their return to a more aggressive approach, shelved after their 2008 Sydney Test against India sparked a public and official backlash against “sledging” – the slang for verbal assaults on an opposing team.In recent days, Paul Marsh, head of the Australian Cricketers’ Association, said fear of the consequences of sledging had affected Australia’s form and opponents had been quick to exploit its “weakness.”Marsh said Australia’s win over England in Perth, which followed their innings and 71 run loss in the second Test at Adelaide, had resulted from a return to its “natural instincts.”Verbal sparring between the teams has noticeably increased. England wicketkeeper Matt Prior criticised Australian fast bowler Peter Siddle for giving him a verbal “send-off” after his dismissal in the third Test.Siddle responded by saying England only complained because they lost.”We won the game. That’s why they’re making such a big deal of it,” he said.Pietersen increased the ante on Thursday. “When you’re under extreme amounts of pressure, you talk a lot more,” he said. “And the good thing about our team is we’re on a plateau. We do what we do.advertisement”We made a hiccup last week. Yes, we were constructive in the criticism that we chucked around the team meeting about preparation and whatever. But we haven’t come out and made any bold, huge statements about this and about that.”Pietersen said the English squad is aware of Australia’s vulnerabilities.”There are a lot of areas in their team that are very vulnerable and we just need to do what we do and wipe the slate clean and forget Perth,” he said. “Think about Adelaide, think about how well we did there, and how well we did in (the drawn first Test in) Brisbane. We’re absolutely fine.”England haven’t won an Ashes series in Australia since 1986-87 but Pietersen said the current team remained confident of revising history.”I just think we’ve got a wonderful opportunity to do something that hasn’t been done for 25 years,” he said. “That’s driving us all on to do something amazing.”Australian captain Ricky Ponting looks increasingly likely to play in Melbourne after breaking the little finger on his left hand attempting a slips catch in Perth. Pietersen said he was not surprised.”I’ve played in a series with a finger broken,” he said. “You just ring-block it. It’s not a huge drama. You just numb it so you don’t feel the pain.”Ricky Ponting might bat without gloves he’s so tough!”last_img read more

Continue Reading

A mouthful of tricolour dishes

first_imgThis Independence Day, restaurants in the national capital are offering a taste of patriotism with ‘tricolour’ dishe. Cheesecakes to chocolate brownies and hara kababs to achaari paneer tikka, mouth-watering delicacies will be served in colours of the national flag– saffron, white and green.Like at Zing in The Metropolitan Hotel where one can enjoy a sumptuous three-course tricolour meal.Relish kulfi, a thali and mocktail – all sporting green, white and saffron colours and priced at Rs.1,200 plus taxes.”We love our country and want our guests — be it Indians or foreigners — to remember and celebrate the day through the food,” said Rajesh Khanna, the hotel’s head of food and beverage. “Last year too, we had a colourful menu to salute the Indian flag,” Khanna told IANS.At Royal China, an unlimited and colourful dimsum brunch is on offer. One can relish steamed prawn dumplings with coriander, vegetarian dumplings, mushroom buns and seafood dumplings in the three colours and wash them down with Chinese tea.The restaurant is also offering a special chocolate brownie with chocolate sauce in tricolour. The menu is priced at Rs.1,350 per person plus taxes.”We were looking for a special theme on Independence Day and the tricolour theme was the best. Last year we introduced ‘tricolour’ dishes and mocktails while this year, chocolate brownies in the three colours are the highlight,” says Eric Khoo Thium, the chef.”Giving such offers on important days helps us fetch footfalls. It also allows us to participate in the patriotic fervour,” he says.Khaaja Chowk restaurant too is celebrating Aug 15 with special vegetarian and non-vegetarian kebab boxes– each carrying 20 pieces. Vegetarians can enjoy hara kababs and achaari paneer tikka priced at Rs.549 plus taxes.Those who love non-vegetarian dishes can try galauti kababs, murg malai tikka and chicken tikka and many more for Rs.649 plus taxes.Blues bar and restaurant is not only offering a tricolour menu but also a ‘tricolour’ ambience. It serves ‘tricolour’ lasagne, chilli chicken with steam rice, non-vegetarian pasta with arrabiata, bolognaise sauce, garlic bread and biryani. The decor of the place has been changed to match the day’s mood. It is offering 60 percent discount on the menu.”We have done up the place with kites and balloons in tricolour to give the visitor a patriotic feel,” says Sammir Chawla, the bar and restaurant’s owner. Those who have a sweet tooth, Mocha has tricolour cheesecakes, priced at Rs.150 plus taxes.advertisementlast_img read more

Continue Reading

2 days agoBurnley manager Dyche delighted with squad competition

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Burnley manager Dyche delighted with squad competitionby Paul Vegas2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley manager Sean Dyche is delighted with the competition within his squad.The Clarets currently have intense battles in a variety of positions, including left-back, striker and central midfield.”There is real competition,” said Dyche.”We have lost very important players but it shows we have other players who are just as important.”I thought Jeff (Hendrick) did well in midfield alongside Westy which is not easy when you play two v three. There was a tactical understanding there of when to press and when not to.”Robbie came in and he is getting back to true fitness and match sharpness that it takes which is why he came off and Jay got a start as well.”I like that competitive element to the squad.” last_img read more

Continue Reading

Indigenous activists say homeless in Montreal unfairly targeted for ticketing

first_imgTom FennarioAPTN National NewsAbout two dozen protesters took part in an act of civil disobedience Tuesday afternoon in downtown Montreal by sitting on a stretch of sidewalk where Indigenous homeless have been receiving tickets.“The fact is that, where are these people to go?” asked Daybi, a Cree outreach worker who works with Montreal’s disproportionately large Indigenous homeless population.“People want to just brush them away so that they’re out of sight and out of mind, but in reality that’s never gonna happen, this has always been an area where people have congregated.”(Daybi, a Cree outreach worker who works with Montreal’s disproportionately large Indigenous homeless population. Photo: Tom Fennario/APTN)Across the street from the protest sits Cabot Square, a place where the city’s homeless and vulnerable Indigenous population, particularly the Inuit, have been frequenting for decades.Daybi helped organize this action after a rash of tickets were recently issued outside Restaurant Miso on the corner of Sainte Catherine and Atwater.“We had complaints from more than one merchant, and also from some citizens,” said Community Officer Adalbert Pimentel of the Montreal Police. “Different complaints, consumption of alcohol, obstructing the sidewalk, also littering on a public domain.”For 10 years Pimentel has patrolled this area.He said in his experience, police officers use their discretion when handing out tickets, and that usually it’s the last resort.According to a 2015 survey, 10 per cent of Montreal’s homeless population is Indigenous, even though they make up less than one per cent of the city’s total population.“There is a lot of warnings, most of the time there is a lot of mediation done trying to find solutions but yes, it could end up in a municipal infraction,” said Pimentel.“These cops never stop”(Osyris Jackson holds up one of his latest tickets. Photo: Tom Fennario/APTN)But 24-year-old Osyris Jackson said that hasn’t been his experience.“These cops never stop, I got a ticket one time for sleeping,” Jackson told APTN News at the Open Door shelter, located one block south of Cabot Square.“I just get tickets. At least give me a warning and I will move, that’s not a problem.”Jackson said he’s been living on the streets for about five years.He showed APTN two tickets for drinking in public, each for $149.“Max, in total I owe the government over a $1,000 in tickets,” he said.$20,000 in tickets…David Chapman is the director of the Open Door Shelter.He estimated that about 40 per cent of the people who come here are Inuit.Chapman said the shelters get many unpaid tickets because it’s used as a mailing address by the people who use it.He brought out a box crammed with about 100 tickets which he said is from the last two and a half months.“Having an open can of alcohol, smoking too close to a bus shelter, jaywalking, sleeping on a bench in the metro, relatively minor and arguably unnecessary infractions,” said Chapman, who added that one of his clients has over $20,000 in unpaid fines.“What happens is, knowing that you have thousands of dollars to pay, and you don’t actually have the ability to repay it, it creates a psychological dysfunction that drives you back to the addiction of choice,” said Chapman.Pimentel said that if merchants and citizens repeatedly call 911, it can’t just be ignored.“When we have a complaint, we have an obligation to take action,” he said.Meanwhile, people at the sit-in emphasized that the rapidly gentrifying area needs to accept the people who were here before them.“There’s deeper social issues at hand, there’s more to the money behind the development of this area, maybe at that level, they could be more considerate of actual people,”  said Daybi.As for Jackson, before leaving the Open Door he inquired about borrowing some clothes for his upcoming court date.“It’s bad man, how are we supposed to pay all this?” he adds, tickets in [email protected]@tfennariolast_img read more

Continue Reading

Kudelski Group owner of content security speciali

last_img

Continue Reading

In This Issue… More thoughts on bonds … RBA

last_img

Continue Reading