Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio returned to the Washington County Felony Drug Court recently, speaking to graduates of the same program that he was once a part of so many years ago. According to a report in The Post-Star, Anastasio spoke for nearly 25 minutes to the graduates of the program, offering words of inspiration after sharing his experiences.“The night I got arrested, I couldn’t go 10 minutes without taking something… Nine years later, I don’t think about drinking or drugging anymore.” He continued, “I thought I would come in here and say, ‘I’m sober’ and get to go home. At the time, I thought this was the worst thing that ever happened to me. Today, it’s without a question the best thing that ever happened to me.”Anastasio was arrested in 2006 for possession of heroin and pain killers in Whitehall, NY, and spent 14 months in Drug Court under the county’s supervision. Now, the guitarist tries to encourage sobriety for those addicted to substances. “I want to come back anytime I can,” he said in the article. “It’s an honor. It’s such a great program. Every community in America should have one.”Whatever you’re doing Trey, it’s working. We can’t wait to see Phish on tour, when they kick things off one week from tonight.[H/T JamBase, Photo via The Post-Star]
In a new podcast series, “Harvard Chan: This Week in Health,” the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health brings you top health headlines — from wellness tips to important global health trends — and insights from experts who will put it into perspective.In Part 1, the Harvard Chan School shares an in-depth conversation with Aaron Bernstein, associate director of the Center for Health and the Global Environment, about the effects of climate change on individual health. Bernstein will also discuss how the future health care costs that stem from climate change will dwarf the cost of moving away from fossil fuels.Feb. 16, 2017: Climate change and health (Part 1) In Part 1 of the multi-part series, which looks at the links between climate change and health, there is an in-depth conversation about the effects of climate change and the steps we can take to reduce the damage. In Part 2 of the series, “This Week” explores ways to communicate effectively about climate change and health. What can be done to convince skeptics and why empathy might be the key to shifting the conversation. And in Part 3, the team examines how environmental changes will not only narrow what we can grow and how much we can yield, but lessen the nutritional value of what we’re already growing.Visit the School’s page on climate change and health to learn more. You can subscribe to the podcast by visiting iTunes, listen to it on Soundcloud, and stream it on the Stitcher app.
DES MOINES — Former South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford is ending his long-shot G-O-P challenge of President Trump’s reelection.During a news conference on the steps of New Hampshire’s statement, Sanford said because of the impeachment fight, there is “no appetite” among Republicans for a “nuanced conversation” about the country’s mounting fiscal crisis. Sanford has warned the country is headed for a “financial storm” because of the spending decisions that are being made in Washington.Sanford began making trips to Iowa late this summer, but he recently announced New Hampshire would be the home base for his long-shot campaign.Two other Republicans have announced they’re challenging President Trump for the GOP’s 2020 presidential nomination. Former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld campaigned at the Iowa State Fair. Former Illinois Congressman Joe Walsh has made a few trips to Iowa this fall.
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump was abruptly escorted by a U.S. Secret Service agent out of the White House briefing room as he was beginning a coronavirus briefing Monday afternoon. He returned minutes later, saying there had been a “shooting” outside the White House that was “under control.”“There was an actual shooting and somebody’s been taken to the hospital,” Trump said. The president said the shots were fired by law enforcement and that he believed the individual who was shot was armed. “It was the suspect who was shot,” Trump said.Trump said he was escorted to the Oval Office by the agent. The White House was placed on lockdown following the incident.The shooting occurred just before 6 p.m. after a 51-year-old man approached a uniformed Secret Service officer near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue just blocks from the White House and told the officer he had a weapon, Tom Sullivan, chief of the Secret Service Uniformed Division, said Monday night.The man then turned around and “ran aggressively toward the officer, and in a drawing motion, removed an object from his clothing,” Sullivan said. The suspect then “crouched into a shooter’s stance, as if about to fire a weapon” before the officer shot the man once in the torso, he said.Sullivan would not answer any questions at a late-night news conference near the scene and did not say whether the suspect was armed.Both the suspect and the officer were taken to the hospital. The District of Columbia fire department said the suspect suffered serious or possibly critical injuries. Sullivan released no information about the officer.Law enforcement officials were still trying to determine the suspect’s motive and authorities were investigating whether he has a history of mental illness. The suspect’s name was not immediately released.“At no time during this incident was the White House complex breached or were any protectees in danger,” Sullivan said. The shooting has prompted an internal review by the Secret Service and is also being investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department, a standard protocol.Trump praised the work of Secret Service personnel for their work in keeping him safe. Asked if he was shaken by the incident, Trump asked reporters: “I don’t know. Do I seem rattled?”https://youtu.be/WUU92Rft8AI
Twenty-seven lawmakers have threatened to sue the New Dawn newspaper for “maliciously publishing a story,” allegedly accusing them of receiving US$4,000 each to thwart their intention to remove Speaker J. Alex Tylers Sr. amid his indictment by Criminal Court C, if the newspaper fails to retract the story and apologize, according to the House’s Press Director Isaac G. Redd.Director Redd said the publication was intentional and demonstrated the New Dawn newspaper’s level of “hateful lies, and the practice of yellow journalism.”A press release signed by Director Redd said the lawmakers have expressed their disappointment and annoyance and would seek legal redress on a “misleading story, published on Wednesday, June 15, 2016, with the title, ‘Tyler Shares Over US$100, 000’ on the front-page of the newspaper.”He further said the newspaper consciously misinformed its readers that the Chairman of Ways, Means, Finance and Development Planning, Moses Kollie, was seen with bags of money that he gave to minority members of the House. Director Redd indicated that the newspaper showed a level of “falsehood, by calling one of the Representatives, Alfred Juah, who received the imaginary US$ 4,000.” “For the record, there is no Representative called Alfred Juah. And the House and Press and Public Affairs Bureau is reminding the media that lack of news headlines for commercial purposes is no incentive to create lies at the detriment of other people’s character,” the release said.“The House of Representatives has admonished its Press and Public Affairs Bureau to work with the Independent Media group, (Legispool), to employ means to weed out imposters and scammers, who are masquerading the corridors of the Capitol Building using the ‘media’ as a source of extorting money for news items,” it said.Meanwhile, the House of Representatives has already made a formal complaint to the Press Union of Liberia (PUL) against the reporter, Nathaniel Dayegbor, and the New Dawn newspaper for the erroneous story.The letter states: “We are constrained to enjoin your office to kindly investigate and thereafter institute the necessary penalties against such practice of yellow journalism.“Mr. Kamara, please be informed that the House of Representatives or individual members of the House reserves the right to bring lawsuits against the New Dawn newspaper for such malicious diabolical fairytale.”The House’s Press Director, however, dismissed reports that the reporter, who is also the president of LEGISPOOL, has been banned.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)