LocalNews Dominica’s Tourism Act to be amended by: – February 24, 2012 Share Sharing is caring! 127 Views no discussions Tweet Tourism Minister Hon. Ian Douglas. Tourism Minister Ian Douglas has announced that his ministry is considering several amendments to the Tourism Act with a view to enhancing tourism standards and the quality of service provided on the island.The Tourism Regulations and Standards Act #19 governs the Tourism Industry; providing guidelines for development and enforcement of standards, licensing and certification of service providers as well as rules, regulations and offences.The Minister emphasized at a press conference on Friday the necessity for these amendments enable to the Discover Dominica Authority (DDA); which is the agency charged with the responsibilities of monitoring and enforcing the Act, the ability to enforce disciplinary measures against violators.“We’ve been looking at strengthening the DDA’s hand to enforce disciplinary action against some of the service providers that want to play outside of the rules. When you play outside the rules what you’re really doing is damaging the industry, you’re jeopardizing the ability of Dominica to compete on the regional and international markets and you’re really causing trouble in the industry. So we want to strengthen the hand of the DDA in certain aspects like the licensing fee structure.”It is instructive to note that the ministry has reviewed some of the reasons for the pull out of Carnival Victory in 2009 which caused serious economic strain on some of the stakeholders within the industry.(L:R): Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism and Legal Affairs Mrs. Claudia Bellot, Tourism Minister Ian Douglas and CEO of DDA Colin Piper at Friday’s press conference.One of the reasons he alluded to was some private tour operators who tend to compete directly with the ship thus jeopardizing the ship’s ability to sell tours. The proposed amendments include a licensing fee structure, the implementation of a ticketing system for violation of the Act and an outline of the penalties for violation.Mr. Douglas explained that the implementation of a ticketing system for violators of the Act will be similar to the traffic ticketing system.This he said would essentially deal with violators in a swift and effective manner.“If we introduce a ticketing system we can bring some speed to the system so they don’t have to wait for a court date and go to a magistrate, or seek legal advice and adjournments. So it would be very much like a traffic violator who would go to the Magistrate’s Office to pay a ticket.”The punishment for these violations would range from a fine to possible disqualification of certification by the DDA. Mr. Douglas further noted that the level at which service is provided across the island must also be addressed.According to him citizens must recognize and appreciate that we are a service type industry and that the “tourism industry is all about providing quality service in everything that we do”.He is hopeful that these amendments will “tighten the industry” so it can operate at and provide the best level of service.Dominica Vibes News Share Share
Defender Michael Duff believes Burnley are much better equipped to survive in the Barclays Premier League than five years ago. Press Association Veteran centre-back Duff, 37, said: “It was good, a change of scenery. “Sometimes it’s the same four walls, same pitches, same faces, so it was nice to get some sun on our backs. We had four or five good sessions there as well. “It freshens things up a little bit. There are different targets to last year but hopefully we’ll achieve our goals, which is the ultimate aim. “For the last two years people have written us off and we’ve proved them wrong. No-one gave us a prayer this year, and with eight games to go we’re still alive and kicking. We’re going to have a right good go.” Duff knows he could have his work cut out this weekend as he comes up against in-form Spurs striker Harry Kane, the Premier League’s current man of the moment. He said: “He’s on a decent run at the minute isn’t he? Not a bad 12 months to be fair to him. Full credit to him, he’s been unbelievable. “They’ve got more than one good player, but he’s definitely one to keep an eye on.” The Clarets’ previous season in the top flight, 2009-10, ended in relegation after early promise fizzled out and inspirational manager Owen Coyle quit the club midway through the campaign. This time it took longer for Sean Dyche’s men to make their mark – their first win came in their 11th game – but their determination to beat the odds has been clearly evident. With eight games remaining they are still in the relegation zone but, just three points off 15th place, there is reason for optimism. Duff said: “The manager leaving the last time – he had everyone buying into what he thought and then he decided to leave for his own reasons in the January. It ripped the heart out of the club. “It didn’t matter who came in, it was going to be an uphill task. “This is completely different. Everyone is 100 per cent – the board, the players, the supporters, the staff. We are all pulling in the same direction, as we have done all season and last season. “There’s a real belief that we can achieve something this year against all the odds. “There is definitely a stronger mentality in this squad which reflects the manager. There is absolutely no chance you would think we were in the bottom three if you looked in the dressing room and the training ground because the place is so upbeat.” With most of the squad not required for international duty over the past fortnight – Danny Ings, Sam Vokes, Michael Keane and Stephen Ward being the exceptions – Dyche took his squad to a training camp in Spain last week. The hope is they will now come back refreshed for a run-in that begins with a tricky visit from Tottenham on Sunday. The idea of a getaway certainly paid dividends a year ago when the Clarets returned to launch their final assault on a promotion place.
Tags: CazenoviaChittenangogirls soccer And the Bears traveled north to face General Brown Saturday afternoon, where it prevailed 2-1 over the Lions, goals by Garcia and Martin proving enough as Kelly recorded seven saves.Cazenovia, meanwhile, only had one game last week, but made it count as it traveled to Hannibal and, with a big first half, produced a 4-1 victory over the Warriors.All of the goals came early as Caitlin Smithers and Katie Rajkowski led the way, each finishing with one goal and one assist. Julia Reff also had a goal as as Ava Gavitt and Molly Dolan got assists, too.With a final regular-season mark of 11-4-1, Cazenovia picked up the no. 8 seed for the Section III Class B playoffs and host no. 9 seed South Jefferson in Wednesday’s opening round. A possible quarterfinal with top seed Central Valley Academy could await the Lakers with a victory over the Spartans.And with its 13-3 record, Chittenango landed the no. 6 seed. Also at home for its opening-round game, the Bears face no. 11 seed Phoenix on Thursday night, the winner to get to the quarterfinals against no. 3 seed Westhill or no. 14 seed General Brown.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story Maryanna Garcia finished with one goal and one assist as Sarah Martin and Ally Shoemaker also found the net. Bears goalkeeper Cassidy Kelly stopped all nine shots she faced.A night later, amid the wind and rain, Chittenango faced Mexico, and the challenging conditions affected both teams, but the Bears did enough to edge the Tigers 3-2.Martin had a part in each of Chittenango’s three scoring plays, netting two goals and assisting on Ally Shoemaker’s tally. Shoemaker also assisted on a Martin goal and Kelly had to make seven saves. During the last week of the regular season, the Chittenango girls soccer team was intent to build upon the good work it had done to turn around a mid-season slump, including its 3-1 win over Cazenovia on Oct. 7.The Bears hosted Solvay last Tuesday night and got an effort from its offense similar to what it was doing early this fall during a 7-0 shutout of the Bearcats.For Chittenango, the most encouraging part was the distribution of its production. Emily Moon led the way, scoring twice and getting a pair of assists, while Madison Wagner also got two goals.
– call for increase in wages, salariesField and factory workers attached to the Blairmont Sugar Estate, on Tuesday came out in their numbers to protest for increase in wages and salaries.The angry protesters stood outside the estate compound as they chanted, “Wage increase, wage increase.”Some held placards, with slogans, “address out 15 per cent clam”, “No closure and sell out of Blairmont Estate”, “2014 rates in 2018 can’t work”, “higher cost of living and less pay” and “big bosses eating mutton, workers eating nothing”. Another group chanted, “Sarwan must go”.Hemraj Lackram from the bell loading department argued that they deserve betterThe section of the aggrieved sugar workers at the protest line on Tuesday morningworking conditions. “The cost for a lot of things raised and the money can’t compensate. We have little children going to school and the money is not sufficient.”Another worker, Zaman Ali, who is a weeder, said on many occasions they are given tasks which they cannot complete in a day. When this happens, he said they are not paid for that day.On some occasions they are given a half day’s pay. According to Ali, the field supervisor has been reluctant to visit weeding sites with the workers to address their concerns. “The boss man say he coming and he not coming and see the work,” he explained.“We want wage increase,” says Nical Nero, another member of the weeding gang.GAWU’s Berbice Representative, Harvey Tambron“It is long overdue. Since 2014, we get a wage increase and we did not get any from 2015.”Another gang member, Vanessa Phillips was more to the point. “Cost of living going up and I have children to look after. Me wan money. Wage increase money.”They are contending that since the change of government in 2015, working with the estate is no longer something to look forward to.A representative of the workers, Bickram Singh related that apart from the lack of salary increases, the cost of living has skyrocketed since the last time an increase was given to workers.“It is about time that sugar workers deserve a wage increase because this Government has imposed over 200 taxes on us and took away the children’s school grant so the burden come back right away to the workers and therefore whatever was our wages in 2014 can’t carry on any longer.”Earlier in the year, teachers through their union, the Guyana Teachers’ Union (GTU) took to the streets in protest demanding salary increases. It was given to them after the Union and Government met several times to iron out the increases.Government has now given public servants between 0.5 and 7 per cent salary increases and the Guyana Public Service Union (GPSU) has rejected the increases approved by the Government, saying it is an imposition while the Guyana Trades Union Congress (GTUC) has criticised the coalition Government’s move for imposing a salary increases on public servants.The Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) believes sugar workers are being targeted. The Berbice representative, Harvey Tambron says the Union made representation for wage increases for workers in 2015, 2016, 2017 and this year.“We had negotiations and those negotiations were declared deadlocked. We tried and exhausted the system and [the Guyana Sugar Corporation] GuySuCo nor the Government did not pay heed to our demands or proposals and so the sugar workers did not receive anything. So far for this year they have not gotten a dime. As to the 15 per cent that we are proposing, we went to the bargaining table and discussed fringes and other conditions and of now there is no offer on the table for the sugar workers.”According to Tambron, not only has commodities increased, but the Guyana Water Inc (GWI) has also increased tariffs.The protest received full support from factory workers, the bell loaders and the field workshop, cane harvesters and other small gangs in the cultivation. Tambron said they are all affected by the wage freeze.“Life has become a challenge. They cannot see a way forward and the holidays are coming… making mention of teachers and other public servants, the Union rep said sugar workers are being ignored… I want to believe it is an act of spitefulness to undermine the sugar workers and the industry.”The workers are willing to continue their protest but the Union is not in support saying that it first has to strategise a plan. Tambron says it is being hoped that Government will be moved by the one day protest to make an offer to the workers.Tambron’s comments come on the heels of the presentation of the National Budget which was presented to the Parliament hours before the protest. The budget made no mention of wage increases for sugar workers.
PCC Falcarragh are celebrating after winning the Ulster Bank Arthurs Cup in the Ulster final clash in Omagh today.The Donegal boys played some classy football to see off St Mark’s of Warrenpoint…by a single nerve-wrecking point!The final score was 2-09 to 0-14. Falcarragh had led by four points at the break 1-06 to 0-05.And the Donegal school side held on into injury time to take the title.PCC FALCARRAGH CROWNED ULSTER CHAMPIONS was last modified: March 5th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:PCC FALCARRAGHUlster Bank Arthurs Cup