Inspirational local leaders and carers had a lot to celebrate at the Donegal Centre for Independent Living Christmas party and awards night on Thursday.The event honoured all the people who make the organisation a truly special community.The DCIL is also marking its 20th anniversary this year, having started from humble beginnings to become one of Donegal’s largest service providers for people with disabilities. This year’s awards night saw Christopher McBrearty being honoured as Leader of the Year.A leader of the year is someone who shows great direction to their personal assistance and is a great example of living independently, having choice in their own lives and advocating for the rights of people with disabilities.Eileen Mc Kechime was also commended as the runner up for the leadership award.Leader of the year Christopher Mc Brearty pictured with DCIL CEO Rosaleen Bradley. David Faughnan PhotographyEileen Mc Kechime Runner Up pictured with her PA Georgina Montgomery. David Faughnan Photography 2PA of the Year 2019 went to Carmel Boyce, with Chris Frize named as the runner-up. PA of the Year 2019 Carmel Boyce pictured with CEO Rosaleen Bradley and DCIL Chairperson Cath Waugh and friends. David Faughnan photographyPA of the Year Runner Up Chris Frize, pictured with CEO Rosaleen Bradley and DCIL Chairperson Cath WaughDavid Faughnan photography2019 Special Recognition Awards were presented to Breda Mc Closky, Kevin Reilly, Vicky Mathews and Annemarie Mc Brearty for their outstanding contributions and dedication over the past year.2019 Special Recognition Award winner Breda McClosky. David Faughnan Photography2019 Special Recognition Award winner Kevin Reilly. David Faughnan Photography2019 Special Recognition Award winner Vicky Matthews. David Faughnan Photography2019 Special Recognition Award winner Annemarie Mc Brearty. David Faughnan PhotographyAmazing leaders and carers honoured by Donegal Centre for Independent Living was last modified: December 15th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal Centre for Independent Living
TORONTO — The federal justice minister says the Liberals hope to tackle the issue of criminalization of HIV non-disclosure if they are re-elected in the fall.Non-disclosure has led to assault or sexual assault charges against people with HIV because it’s been found to invalidate a partner’s consent.Justice Minister David Lametti says the government won’t be able to act on the findings of an imminent report on the issue before the October election.But he says the Liberals, if returned to power, would try to draft a criminal law provision that targets intentional non-disclosure.The federal standing committee on Justice and Human Rights has been examining the issue and is expected to release a report next week, just as the House is set to rise.Late last year, the government instructed federal prosecutors in the North that they should no longer prosecute anyone for not disclosing their HIV status to a sex partner where there is no risk of transmitting the virus.The Canadian Press
BRUSSELS — The European Union has withdrawn its threat to ban Thai fisheries exports into the bloc after Bangkok pushed through reforms to contain illegal fishing.Thailand, one of the main global fish exporters, had been faced with the threat of a ban for more than three years over its failure to combat illegal fishing, but consultations with the EU and legal and compliance reforms allowed the bloc to take back the so-called yellow card.EU fisheries Commissioner Karmenu Vella met with Thai deputy prime minister Sarikulya Chatchai Tuesday and said that as combating illegal fishing remains a priority for the EU, he was “excited that today we have a new committed partner in this fight.”The Associated Press
New York Liberty protests in support of Black Lives Matter (Fox Sports)In a defiant move Thursday, members of three WNBA teams refused to take questions about basketball at a post-game press conference in protest of a fine given for wearing black warmup t-shirts. Atlanta Black Star reported the WNBA fined the New York Liberty, Phoenix Mercury and Indiana Fever $5,000, and their team members were charged $500 each.The basketball stars wore their uniform-approved Adidas Black t-shirts that read #BlackLivesMatter and #Dallas5 – but the messages did not comply with the league’s guidelines which state uniforms must not be changed in any way. The hashtags are meant to honor the shootings done by and against police. League president Lisa Borders commended their “engagement and passionate advocacy for non-violent solutions to difficult social issues” but expected teams to comply with uniform guidelines.At the press conference Thursday afternoon following the New York Liberty and Indiana Fever’s matchup at New York’s Madison Square Garden, The Washington Post reported the players would not answer questions regarding the game or basketball but were willing to discuss social issues.LIVE on #Periscope https://t.co/Cc4rbHOROL— Excelle Sports (@ExcelleSports) July 21, 2016“We really feel like there’s still an issue here in America,” Liberty player Tanisha Wright said. “And we want to be able to use our platforms, we want to be able to use our voices, we don’t want to let anybody silence us in what we want to talk about. So you guys can ask away about anything that’s happening in society.”“It’s unfortunate that the WNBA has fined us and not supported its players,” she added.Fever forward Tamika Catchings also confirmed her team would not answer questions about their 82-70 game win or the sport itself. She mentioned the blackout was a group decision.“I think, no matter what our success is on the court, basketball is just that — it’s just basketball,” the 2012 WNBA champion said. “And there’s a whole other world outside of that, and it’s way more important than what we do.”“What’s most upsetting is the way it was handled,” Indiana Fever point guard Briann January told ESPN. “You have a league that is 90 – if not above 90 – percent African-American and you have an issue that is directly affecting them and the people they know and you have a league that isn’t willing to side with them.”Phoenix Mercury forward Mistie Bass pointed out the WNBA’s praise of team actions in support of the Orlando Shooting last month, which included wearing t-shirts.I would hope the league would feel the same way about our desire 2 use this platform 4 the recent tragedies! #taboo pic.twitter.com/agtKlYovOu— Mistie Bass (@A_Phoenix_Born) July 21, 2016Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks, who has been encouraging athletes to be social activists, also supports the protest.“I don’t see no reason to fine them,” he told ESPN. “If anything you should want to support them. I don’t know details, but don’t see a reason to fine them.”
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, July 15, 2006 – The Commissioner should resign and go home according to former Premier Michael Misick who said the crime in our islands is way out of control and requires a symposium for national discussion.Opposition Leader Sharlene Robinson commented last night via media statement that she is gravely concerned for children,O for women and was also outraged at the photograph being circulated. I quote now, “The need to preserve crime scenes when applicable is critical and the protection of the body from unauthorised photographs must be of paramount importance, not just for the rights of the victim and their families but to not expose evidence to a receiving public that may include the perpetrator. We must catch up in crime fighting and response. Times and criminals have changed and we must employ new tactics and tools.” – Sharlene Cartwright RobinsonAll of these officials today expressed thank you to the Dominicans who volunteered and found Sorineida and condolences to the family and friends of the young woman, who was just 26 years old and had been a part of the TCI Community for at least the past four years now. Another major call by the leaders, for those with information to come forward; the Police need the public’s help to solve crime.
(Left) The BioModule will carry 30 samples, and have a mass of 100 grams. Credit: Bruce Betts/The Planetary Society. (Right) Water bears have already shown that they can survive vacuum conditions and intense radiation. Credit: Bob Goldstein. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Russia delays Mars probe launch until 2012: report The LIFE experiment is being developed by The Planetary Society, a publicly supported organization founded in part by Carl Sagan that now has 125 member countries. The researchers will send 10 individual organisms (three of each, for a total of 30 samples) from all three domains of life – bacteria, eukaryota, and archaea – along with some native soil samples to Mars’ largest moon on the three-year mission. According to the scientists, the experiment will test part of the theory of transpermia, specifically investigating life’s ability to move between planets. In an earlier experiment in 2007, water bears flew on a spacecraft and survived the major hardships of radiation and the vacuum. In 2011, the life forms will be packed up inside a puck-like container called a BioModule with a total mass of 100 grams, which is designed to resemble a meteorite that may have carried earlier life forms between planets. After the 10-month journey to Phobos, the specimens will undergo a 4,000-g impact on the moon’s surface, spend a few weeks there in their sealed containers, and then return to Earth on board a robotic interplanetary lander that would crash-land in Kazakhstan. Scientists would then open the containers and see what was still alive.”If no microbes survive, this does not necessarily rule out the possibility of transpermia, but it certainly calls it into question more,” according to The Planetary Society’s website. “But if some of the organisms do make it alive to Phobos and back, then at least we would know that some life could indeed survive an interplanetary journey over a three-year period inside a rock.”The experiment would mark the longest time that biological samples have spent in deep space; the Biostack 1 and 2 experiments, flown during the Apollo 16 and 17 missions to the moon, traveled outside the Earth’s magnetosphere for about two weeks. To prepare for the upcoming launch, the scientists had to overcome several challenges. They tested the BioModule’s durability by violently vibrating the container while strapped to a shake table, and then shooting the container out of an air cannon to mimic the conditions it would undergo. More information: The Planetary Society: LIFE Experiment and FAQvia: Wired© 2009 PhysOrg.com (PhysOrg.com) — Tiny microscopic creatures commonly known as water bears (also called Tardigrades), along with a few other life forms, will be sent to the Martian moon Phobos to test whether organisms can survive for long periods of time in deep space. The mission, called the Living Interplanetary Flight Experiment (LIFE), was originally going to be launched earlier this month, but it has been delayed due to safety and technical issues. Currently, the scientists hope to launch the specimens on the Russian Phobos-Grunt spacecraft in 2011, the next time that the orbits of Earth and Mars offer a launch window. Explore further Citation: Water Bears to Travel to Martian Moon, Test Theory of Transpermia (2009, October 13) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2009-10-martian-moon-theory-transpermia.html
Kolkata: The state government is taking a proactive step to ensure that farmers in Birbhum do not face any trouble in getting fertilisers during the Kharif season, with Sainthia Rake Point remaining closed for the past three months.Fertilisers for distribution in Birbhum district reach Sainthia Rake Point, from where it is transported through roadways to distribution points in the entire district. But at present, the railway authorities are carrying out infrastructure development and maintenance work in the rake point, as a result of which it is remaining “temporarily closed” for the past three months. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedAsish Banerjee, the state Agriculture minister, held a meeting in this connection with the concerned officials of his department and directed him to take necessary measures to ensure that farmers do not face any problem during the Kharif season.”Following the directions of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, we cannot allow any situation to arise that would lead to inconvenience of farmers. So, all necessary steps would be taken to ensure that there is no shortage in the supply of fertilisers in the district,” he said. Also Read – Naihati: 10 councillors return to TMC from BJPIt may be mentioned that fertiliser is required in a huge quantity during the Kharif season that starts with the onset of monsoon and its demand would start going up in the next 15 days. Sources said that the state Agriculture department has planned distribution of around 7,300 MT urea in Birbhum in July itself.As per the present stock of fertilisers in the district, there is nothing to worry. But the state Agriculture department does not want to take any chance and would be speaking to the railway authorities to urge completion of the infrastructure development and maintenance work as early as possible. An official in the state secretariat said railway authorities had informed that the Sainthia Rake Point would remain closed for two months from April 5 onward.”But now it has been almost three months. So, we would be urging the railway authorities, if needed, to resume functioning of the rake point as early as possible and to carry out the maintenance work once again after the Kharif season is over,” the official said.When contacted, an Eastern Railway spokesperson said: “We will look into the matter.”At the same time, the Agriculture department’s officials are also coordinating with officials of the authority that provides fertilisers. Keeping an alternative way out ready to ensure that farmers do not face any problem, a suggestion of sending fertilisers for Birbhum district from Kasimbazar Rake Point in Murshidabad has also come up.
Listen Now Problem Solvers with Jason Feifer Hear from business owners and CEOs who went through a crippling business problem and came out the other side bigger and stronger. 2 min read September 11, 2014 The ultra-popular, rapidly expanding ride-hailing service Uber was hit with a lawsuit last week alleging that its drivers had discriminated against blind passengers and mistreated their guide dogs.The complaint, filed on behalf of the California Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind on Tuesday, alleges that in at least 30 separate instances, visually impaired members with guide dogs have been refused service. The complaint argues that the behavior of Uber X drivers violates both California state law and basic rights of equal access guaranteed under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, passed more than two decades ago.Related: Look Out, Uber: A Ride-Sharing Service in NYC Is Peddling $10 Flat RatesOne plaintiff, Leena Dawes, said she had an UberX driver “forced” her guide dog into the closed trunk of the sedan. Allegedly, Dawes “pleaded” the driver to stop driving so she could get her dog, but the driver refused to pull over, according to the report.The alleged cases of discrimination all involve Uber’s UberX service. The service, which the complaint praises as “highly cost-effective and widely available,” uses a mobile app to connect unprofessional drivers with passengers.The plaintiff for the lawsuit is Michael Hingson, a member of the National Federation of the blind in California. He is a public speaker and author who has used a guide dog for decades.Related: Uber Says It Will Continue Service in Germany Despite BanUber says that any drivers who are proven to be guilty of the actions alleged in the complaint will be removed from the service. “The Uber app is built to expand access to transportation options for all, including users with visual impairments and other disabilities,” the company said in an emailed statement. “It is Uber’s policy that any driver partner that refuses to transport a service animal will be deactivated from the Uber platform.”Uber does have functionality within its app for the visually impaired. For example, the Uber app works with VoiceOver, an Apple technology that reads out loud what a user is touching on the screen.Related: Uber Hires Former Obama Campaign Manager to Battle the ‘Big Taxi Cartel’