“It’s only got 80,000 miles,” she said. “No one has ever even sat in the back seat. It’s perfectly good.” Zuniga said she’s played the California lottery every day since its inception in 1985. “It finally paid off, but I’m probably just winning my money back,” she laughed. Considering the astronomical odds of winning any state lottery drawing, Zuniga is one lucky woman. Just last year, she won a $57,000 prize in a Fantasy Five drawing. WHITTIER – Sure, she’s $1.2 million wealthier than she was a week ago, but Mega Millions winner Terry Zuniga has no plans to exchange her routine for the lifestyle of the rich and famous. In fact, the 57-year-old Whittier resident and in-home caregiver said Tuesday she plans to keep her job caring for her two elderly clients. Her biggest extravagance will be a trip to Las Vegas with four of her longtime best friends, she said. After that, she’s thinking about having her used Honda – which was recently given to her by one of her clients – repainted. True, she can afford any car she wants, but after all, Zuniga said, her Honda is “like a new car.” But all those winnings are now gone – she spent her jackpot on her own two children and on the 11 foster children she has raised, she said. Lottery officials said Zuniga’s ticket was the only one that had five of the six winning numbers in Friday’s $37million jackpot drawing. No one claimed the top prize, pushing the total for Tuesday’s Mega Millions drawing to $47 million. Of course, Zuniga will have to pay 25 percent of her $1,231,934 windfall to Uncle Sam in the form of federal income taxes, lottery officials said. But that still leaves her with $923,950, a check for which Zuniga expects to receive in four to six weeks, she said. The store where she bought her ticket will not receive a percentage because the win was not for a pick-six jackpot, lottery officials said. Some of her money will pay for college for two of her foster children, Zuniga said. And she also wants to donate some to City of Hope cancer center in Duarte. “I help everybody out,” said Zuniga, who bought her winning ticket at the 7-Eleven store on Santa Fe Springs Boulevard in Whittier. “But I’m happy, and that’s it. This money I promise I won’t keep all to myself. That’s the truth,” she said. email@example.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers In this February 15, 2014 photo, men’s 1,000-meter short track speed-skating gold medalist Viktor Ahn, of Russia, gestures while holding his medal during the medals ceremony at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Six-time Olympic gold medalist Ahn and three former NHL players are among 45 Russian athletes and two coaches who were banned from the Pyeongchang Olympics over doping concerns in a decision announced on Friday, February 9, 2018. (AP FILE PHOTO) As well as the 45 athletes, the ruling covers a luge coach and a skeleton coach.The IOC has refused to comment on individual Russian athletes but says it decided who to exclude using a newly obtained Moscow laboratory database with evidence of past doping offenses.It refused to invite some Russians even after their disqualifications from the 2014 Olympics were lifted by CAS last week.Stephen Hess, an international sports lawyer based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, said the decision was a victory for the IOC.“There is no absolute right to get an invitation from the IOC to come to the Olympics,” Hess said in a telephone interview. “That was within the IOC’s discretion, and they didn’t exercise it arbitrarily. If Russia had an Olympic team, CAS might have said: ‘IOC, the Russians can put them on their own team. You can’t keep them out.’ But Russian doesn’t have an Olympic team.”The IOC pointed to a CAS statement that declared the Russians were not necessarily innocent of doping, just that the evidence was insufficient to ban them. Also, the IOC said, “there were additional elements and/or evidence, which could not be considered” in last week’s CAS case “that raised suspicion about the integrity of these athletes.”US athletes praised the decision and the end to uncertainty around the participation of some Russian athletes.“That is great news,” said US women’s skeleton athlete Katie Uhlaender, who placed fourth in the Sochi Olympics — one spot behind bronze medalist Elena Nikitina, who was one of the 45 appealing her ban. U.S. bobsledder Nick Cunningham said he’s tried to not focus on the will-they-or-won’t-they drama surrounding the Russians.“It’s not going to change what happens to me in the next two weeks,” Cunningham said. “If dirty athletes are taken out, then clean athletes will prevail. That’s what I hope.” /kga PYEONGCHANG, South Korea — Sports’ highest court rejected appeals by all 45 Russian athletes plus two coaches who were banned from the Pyeongchang Olympics over doping concerns in a decision announced on Friday, less than nine hours before the opening ceremony.The International Olympic Committee (IOC) had refused to invite the group of Russians, saying it had evidence of alleged doping in Russian sports.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAfter two days of hearings, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that the IOC has the right to set its own standards for who is eligible.CAS Secretary General Matthieu Reeb, reading from a statement and declining to take questions, said the IOC process “could not be described as a sanction but rather as an eligibility decision.” The IOC’s vetting process was designed to exclude Russian athletes from the games if IOC officials were not sure they were clean, even if they had not been banned for doping.The IOC subsequently invited 168 Russians to participate as “Olympic Athletes from Russia,” competing in neutral uniforms under the Olympic flag in a decision designed to balance the rights of individual athletes with the need for a strong deterrent to doping.The Russian delegation in Pyeongchang declined requests for comment, with spokesman Konstantin Vybornov saying “that’s it — the story is over.”The ruling is a heavy blow to Russian medal chances.Among those excluded are six-time gold medalist Viktor Ahn, the short track speed-skater whose return to his native South Korea for the Olympics had been hotly anticipated by local fans.Also out are cross-country skiing gold medalist Alexander Legkov and skeleton gold medalist Alexander Tretiakov, as well as potential medal contenders in biathlon, luge, and bobsled.Three former NHL players — Sergei Plotnikov, Anton Belov and Valeri Nichushkin — also lost appeals, though it was widely considered unlikely they would have played even if they had been successful, since the Russian roster is already full.United States Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart said the decision was a “a small glimmer of hope in an otherwise dark and sordid affair.”“You hope justice has been served but how some of these athletes can keep dirty medals from Sochi but be excluded now is hard to reconcile,” Tygart said. “And why the IOC rushed the process on the Sochi medal decisions is unexplainable and a tragedy for clean athletes.”The ruling comes a day after the first Olympic competitions began and ends more than a week of uncertainty for two groups of athletes who lodged last-ditch cases to the CAS. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises LATEST STORIES Read Next Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics PLAY LIST 00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games01:37Russian envoy: Putin accepts Duterte’s invitation to visit PH01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Golden State forward Draymond Green fined $50,000 AFP official booed out of forum “The CAS panel found that the applicants did not demonstrate that the manner in which the two special commissions — the Invitation Review Panel and the Olympic Athlete from Russia Implementation Group — independently evaluated the applicants was carried out in a discriminatory, arbitrary or unfair manner. The Panel also concluded that there was no evidence the (commissions) improperly exercised their discretion.”The IOC and the World Anti-Doping Agency welcomed the decision. The IOC issued a statement saying the decision “supports the fight against doping and brings clarity for all athletes.”WADA president Craig Reedie described it as “absolutely correct.”“I am delighted at the decision and the way they expressed it,” Reedie told the Associated Press in a telephone interview. “They have quite clearly understood that there was systemic manipulation of the anti-doping process.“It means the games can proceed. Athletes can get their heads down and go. This particular issue is now behind us.”ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH ADVERTISEMENT
PH Women’s National Volleyball team. Photo by Bong LozadaThe Philippine national women’s volleyball team, the most sought-after squad these days, has finally developed chemistry after 17 days of training in Japan.Arriving in the country Wednesday, head coach Francis Vicente said he was impressed with how the players developed camaraderie despite coming from different teams and leagues.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress They will fly to Kuala Lumpur Aug. 18 for the Southeast Asian Games to reboot the country’s campaign in the regional game where the Filipinos used to lord it over.Reyes said that in Okayama and Osaka, they had managed to forget who they were back home. “We are just one team, no superstars, no big names.”The players also napped together on the same court they practice drills, helping them know each other very well.Completing the squad are Kim Fajardo, Aiza Pontillas, Rhea Dimaculangan, Maika Ortiz, Denden Lazaro, Kim Dy, Dawn Macandili, Ces Molina and Gen Casugod.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “This is a collection of superstars that is now working as one team,” said Vicente. “This is a good start because they will be playing together for the next three years.”The Nationals, training particularly to develop speed, blocking and floor coverage that Japanese clubs are known for, also came home with victories in friendlies against Kobe Shinwa, Kansai University and Osaka Superiors.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsBut more importantly, Vicente said he was delighted to watch superstars Mika Reyes, Alyssa Valdez, Jaja Santiago, Aby Maraño and Jovelyn Gonzaga working seamlessly on plays.They will see action in the Asian Seniors Championships in Biñan, Laguna, on Aug. 9 to 17, hoping to at least make the quarterfinals which would ensure a spot in the Asian Cup next year. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ LATEST STORIES Chot uncovers Gilas gems in Jones Cup Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant View comments