NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers In this February 15, 2014 photo, men’s 1,000-meter short track speed-skating gold medalist Viktor Ahn, of Russia, gestures while holding his medal during the medals ceremony at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Six-time Olympic gold medalist Ahn and three former NHL players are among 45 Russian athletes and two coaches who were banned from the Pyeongchang Olympics over doping concerns in a decision announced on Friday, February 9, 2018. (AP FILE PHOTO) As well as the 45 athletes, the ruling covers a luge coach and a skeleton coach.The IOC has refused to comment on individual Russian athletes but says it decided who to exclude using a newly obtained Moscow laboratory database with evidence of past doping offenses.It refused to invite some Russians even after their disqualifications from the 2014 Olympics were lifted by CAS last week.Stephen Hess, an international sports lawyer based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, said the decision was a victory for the IOC.“There is no absolute right to get an invitation from the IOC to come to the Olympics,” Hess said in a telephone interview. “That was within the IOC’s discretion, and they didn’t exercise it arbitrarily. If Russia had an Olympic team, CAS might have said: ‘IOC, the Russians can put them on their own team. You can’t keep them out.’ But Russian doesn’t have an Olympic team.”The IOC pointed to a CAS statement that declared the Russians were not necessarily innocent of doping, just that the evidence was insufficient to ban them. Also, the IOC said, “there were additional elements and/or evidence, which could not be considered” in last week’s CAS case “that raised suspicion about the integrity of these athletes.”US athletes praised the decision and the end to uncertainty around the participation of some Russian athletes.“That is great news,” said US women’s skeleton athlete Katie Uhlaender, who placed fourth in the Sochi Olympics — one spot behind bronze medalist Elena Nikitina, who was one of the 45 appealing her ban. U.S. bobsledder Nick Cunningham said he’s tried to not focus on the will-they-or-won’t-they drama surrounding the Russians.“It’s not going to change what happens to me in the next two weeks,” Cunningham said. “If dirty athletes are taken out, then clean athletes will prevail. That’s what I hope.” /kga PYEONGCHANG, South Korea — Sports’ highest court rejected appeals by all 45 Russian athletes plus two coaches who were banned from the Pyeongchang Olympics over doping concerns in a decision announced on Friday, less than nine hours before the opening ceremony.The International Olympic Committee (IOC) had refused to invite the group of Russians, saying it had evidence of alleged doping in Russian sports.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAfter two days of hearings, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that the IOC has the right to set its own standards for who is eligible.CAS Secretary General Matthieu Reeb, reading from a statement and declining to take questions, said the IOC process “could not be described as a sanction but rather as an eligibility decision.” The IOC’s vetting process was designed to exclude Russian athletes from the games if IOC officials were not sure they were clean, even if they had not been banned for doping.The IOC subsequently invited 168 Russians to participate as “Olympic Athletes from Russia,” competing in neutral uniforms under the Olympic flag in a decision designed to balance the rights of individual athletes with the need for a strong deterrent to doping.The Russian delegation in Pyeongchang declined requests for comment, with spokesman Konstantin Vybornov saying “that’s it — the story is over.”The ruling is a heavy blow to Russian medal chances.Among those excluded are six-time gold medalist Viktor Ahn, the short track speed-skater whose return to his native South Korea for the Olympics had been hotly anticipated by local fans.Also out are cross-country skiing gold medalist Alexander Legkov and skeleton gold medalist Alexander Tretiakov, as well as potential medal contenders in biathlon, luge, and bobsled.Three former NHL players — Sergei Plotnikov, Anton Belov and Valeri Nichushkin — also lost appeals, though it was widely considered unlikely they would have played even if they had been successful, since the Russian roster is already full.United States Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart said the decision was a “a small glimmer of hope in an otherwise dark and sordid affair.”“You hope justice has been served but how some of these athletes can keep dirty medals from Sochi but be excluded now is hard to reconcile,” Tygart said. “And why the IOC rushed the process on the Sochi medal decisions is unexplainable and a tragedy for clean athletes.”The ruling comes a day after the first Olympic competitions began and ends more than a week of uncertainty for two groups of athletes who lodged last-ditch cases to the CAS. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises LATEST STORIES Read Next Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics PLAY LIST 00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games01:37Russian envoy: Putin accepts Duterte’s invitation to visit PH01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Golden State forward Draymond Green fined $50,000 AFP official booed out of forum “The CAS panel found that the applicants did not demonstrate that the manner in which the two special commissions — the Invitation Review Panel and the Olympic Athlete from Russia Implementation Group — independently evaluated the applicants was carried out in a discriminatory, arbitrary or unfair manner. The Panel also concluded that there was no evidence the (commissions) improperly exercised their discretion.”The IOC and the World Anti-Doping Agency welcomed the decision. The IOC issued a statement saying the decision “supports the fight against doping and brings clarity for all athletes.”WADA president Craig Reedie described it as “absolutely correct.”“I am delighted at the decision and the way they expressed it,” Reedie told the Associated Press in a telephone interview. “They have quite clearly understood that there was systemic manipulation of the anti-doping process.“It means the games can proceed. Athletes can get their heads down and go. This particular issue is now behind us.”ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH ADVERTISEMENT
The Lady Bulldogs streaked to their third straight win while the Lady Warriors are at the bottom with a 0-3 card.After going back and forth against the Lady Warriors and trailing, 10-11, midway through the fourth set, the Lady Bulldogs went on a 13-2 run to take a 23-13 lead, with Aiko Urdas finishing it off with a through-the-block kill.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNU head coach Babes Castillo said they had a good win, but after seeing his team falter in the second set he knew his players could do better.“The win earlier was a good win, but it was not a good performance,” said Castillo in Filipino. “I told them to forget about the second set and let’s move on, it’s already marked on the card.” Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting National University recovered from a dismal second set to beat University of the East, 25-15, 18-25, 25-23, 25-19, and stay undefeated in the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament Sunday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.ADVERTISEMENT Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The Lady Eagles tied the Tigresses at 1-2.UST suffered a double whammy when it lost libero Rica Rivera to a right knee injury in the first set. Assistant coach Mark Alfafara said the initial assessment was a torn meniscus. —BONG LOZADA, INQUIRER.NET “My players’ captain responded on the dot on what the situation needed and the team will go with the captain,” Castillo said, referring to Jaja Santiago.When NU committed four straight errors that allowed UE to trim the deficit to six in the fourth set, 23-17, it was Santiago who stopped the Lady Warriors’ fun with a well-placed kill that put the Lady Bulldogs on match point, 24-17.Santiago led the Lady Bulldogs’ charge with 23 points while Roselyn Doria added 12 points.Shaya Adorador and May Ann Mendrez led UE with 11 points apiece.In the other match, Ateneo notched its first win after taking down University of Santo Tomas, 16-25, 25-22, 25-22, 25-23.ADVERTISEMENT View comments NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Read Next Last-ditch stand by PBA underdogs Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City AFP official booed out of forum
Three motorcyclists were killed after a truck knocked them in Akbar Shah area of Chittagong city early Friday.The deceased are Qamrul Islam, 27, Md Nizam, 32, and Md Rezaul, 30.Akbar Shah police station officer in-charge Md Alamgir said a truck hit the three motorcyclists in Shahid Lane area of the city around 3:00am, leaving them dead on the spot.“Police have detained the driver and his assistant and seized the truck,” he added.The OC also said the bodies were sent to Chittagong Medical College Hospital for autopsy.
At least five people were killed in separate road accidents in Noakhali and Thakurgaon districts on Sunday, reports UNB.In Noakhali, two people died while another injured in a head-on a collision between a bus and a CNG-run auto-rickshaw on Laksam-Sonaimuri road at Rampur in Sonaimuri upazila in the morning.The deceased are CNG driver Rakib, 25, son of Ruhul Amin, Mizan, 31, and his brother Belal, 39, son of Bachchu Mia of Kathalia village in the upazila.Quoting locals, Abdullah-Al Masum, additional superintendent of police in Sonaimuri-Chatkhali Circle, said the accident took place when a Noakhali-bound bus collided head-on with a CNG-run auto-rickshaw around 10:00am, leaving the trio dead on the spot and one injured.On information, police recovered the bodies and took injured Abul, 29, to Noakhali General Hospital, the official added.In Thakurgaon, two motorcyclists –Faruk and Kausar of Parpugi village in sadar upzila — died on the spot in a head-on collision between a minibus and a motorcycle at Mathurapur in upazila sarad.The accident took place when the minibus hit the motorcycle around 3:00pm leaving two motorcyclists dead on the spot and injuring one, witnesses said.Locals rushed inured Robiul of the same village to Thakurgaon Sadar Modern Hospital, said Abdul Latif Mia, officer-in-charge of Thakurgaon Sadar police station.
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. How Success Happens Hear from Polar Explorers, ultra marathoners, authors, artists and a range of other unique personalities to better understand the traits that make excellence possible. May 8, 2013 3 min read With the ubiquity of smartphones, it’s easy to get caught up in the app hype. But the question is, should you?While there’s no doubt that mobile applications can be great for keeping customers engaged with your brand, they aren’t right for everyone. Among other reasons, roughly 80 percent of apps get fewer than 1,000 downloads, and a huge chunk of them register very few downloads at all. They’ll often get buried under the other million-plus apps in every app store.It can also be costly to develop a mobile application. According to Blue Cloud Solutions, an iPhone app consultancy, you’re going to pay between $1,000 and $4,000 for the most basic of mobile apps. If you want features like in-app purchasing or connection to a database, you’ll see costs increase substantially.So, how do you decide if your business needs an app or not? Here are three questions to ask yourself before going down the app development path:1. Who are your customers, and what do they expect? Believe it or not, not everyone has a smartphone (only about 50 percent of U.S. consumers, according to Comscore’s “2013 Mobile Future in Focus” report), and not everyone with a smartphone downloads and uses apps. Evaluate your customer base and determine how useful a mobile app will be to them. If it’s not obvious, a survey of your market is a great way to get the answers you need.Related: Have an App Idea But Don’t Know Code? Here’s An Action Plan2. Will a mobile website accomplish what you need? Once you figure out the needs of your customers, it might be clear that a good looking, easy to navigate mobile site is what you really need. A mobile site is also a great transition into mobile if app development is outside your budget right now. The other advantage of this approach is that it works across all smartphone platforms, whereas you need to develop different apps specific to iPhone, Android, Microsoft and (maybe) Blackberry.Related: The Basics: 3 Important Tips for Creating Killer Mobile Apps3. Do you have the bandwidth to maintain an effective mobile app? A mobile app isn’t something you can just set and forget. Not only do platform updates demand frequent upgrades to your app, but if you want your app to be a success, it needs to be refreshed and updated on a regular basis. Developing new content and functionality takes time and money, so be sure you know what you’re getting into.Related: The New Cool Kids: Teenage-App DevelopersBottom line:Ask yourself why you want to develop an app. Are you getting caught up in the fury of activity in this space and afraid you’re missing out? Or do you have a genuine need to develop a mobile app for your business? If you find that an app would benefit your company, engage your clientele and be cost-effective, go for it.What other factors should you consider before launching an app? Let us know in the comment Listen Now