New Master Builders of Iowa endowment to address skilled worker shortage

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

New Master Builders of Iowa endowment to address skilled worker shortage

first_imgDES MOINES — An organization that represents the state’s construction industry has established a new $5 million endowment to award yearly grants to schools, businesses and charities for programs that promote jobs in the construction trades.Chad Kleppe, president and CEO of the Master Builders of Iowa, said about 75,000 people are working on construction projects in Iowa today, but the demand is growing for more skilled workers.“Our concern is that if we’re not being more pro-active from an industry perspective that matters are only going to get worse,” Kleppe said.His organization is now accepting applications online for the grants, which will be awarded in December. The money isn’t for scholarships, but for projects or programs that promote construction jobs in carpentry, electrical and mechanical skills.“Maybe exhibits at museums or exhibits at different locations that are construction based,” Kleppe said. “Our hope is that contractors will work with local schools to provide the capital infrastructure for construction equipment, shop equipment be it table saws or miter saws or things like that and couple with a contractor who will provide the expertise on how to work the equipment, provide the safety and then maybe some material suppliers to provide the in-kind support in that regard.”Governor Kim Reynolds and Chad Kleppe.The Associated General Contractors of America recently conducted a national survey and 77 percent of contractors said their number one concern was finding skilled workers.“We are seeing more people retiring and we just are not filling those positions as quickly as we necessarily need,” Kleppe said.Governor Kim Reynolds has identified Iowa workforce shortage issues as a top priority. She attended today’s announcement of what the Master Builders of Iowa are calling their Workforce Opportunities Require Knowledge and Skills or “M-B-I WORKS” project.“The more that we can implement these types of programs into our middle schools and high schools, it helps educate parents to see that these are phenomenal opportunities,” she said. “It gives our students an opportunity to test run some of these careers, find that they have a passion for it and they recognize that this is a great career opportunity for them.”The Master Builders’ plan is to support up to four projects each year. The organization’s president said one of their goals is to promote more diversity among Iowa’s construction workforce, including getting more women and minorities to consider careers in the construction trades.last_img read more

Continue Reading

NYT: Fake Video of President Trump Attacking Media Played During Doral Conference

first_imgA fake video depicting President Trump shooting, stabbing, and assaulting media personalities and political opponents was reportedly played in the vicinity of a conference for his supporters at his Miami resort recently. So far it’s not clear who was responsible for the video that was not played in the main ballroom. Donald Trump Junior, former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis were all scheduled to speak at the conference hosted by American Priority at Trump National Doral Miami. None has seen the video.This was shown at Trumps Doral resort… Time to take America back from republicans cold dead hands… https://t.co/38Sp6H1Q1r— Buddy Ray Williams S (@s_buddyluv60) October 14, 2019 Screen shot of alleged videoAccording to the New York Times:The video, which was shown at Trump’s National Doral Miami during a three-day conference held by American Priority, includes the logo for Trump’s 2020 reelection bid and showcases a series of internet memes, the Times reported. One part of the video, the Times said, shows a fake Trump’s head edited onto the body of a man opening fire in the “Church of Fake News” on a group whose faces were edited to appear as a group of Trump critics and news organizations.According to the Times, the clip ends with Trump driving a stake into the head of a person who has the CNN logo for a face before standing and smiling as he looks around. The clip appears to be edited from a church massacre scene in the 2014 movie “Kingsman: The Secret Service,” the Times reported.So far the video has not been independently verified as of Sunday night and the contents have not been shared.“Sadly, this is not the first time that supporters of the President have promoted violence against the media in a video they apparently find entertaining — but it is by far and away the worst. The images depicted are vile and horrific,” CNN said in a statement Sunday night. “The President and his family, the White House, and the Trump campaign need to denounce it immediately in the strongest possible terms. Anything less equates to a tacit endorsement of violence and should not be tolerated by anyone.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

THE GIRLINTHATSONG HITS THE RIGHT NOTE TO WIN GRADE II, $200,000 LA CANADA STAKES BY 4 ¼ LENGTHS; BEJARANO, HOLLENDORFER TEAM FOR WIN

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 17, 2015)–Thegirlinthatsong pounced on pacesetter Jojo Warrior a quarter mile from home and went on to win Saturday’s Grade II, $200,000 La Canada Stakes by 4 ¼ lengths under Rafael Bejarano as even money favorite Lexie Lou got up for second. Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Thegirlinthatsong bested a half dozen other 4-year-old fillies and covered 1 1/16 miles in 1:43.84.Idle since running second in the Zia Park Oaks on Nov. 26, the 4-year-old Texas-bred daughter of My Golden Song tried Santa Anita’s main track for the first time and registered her fifth win from 19 overall starts. Second behind 8-5 second choice Jojo Warrior through splits of 23.63, 47.13 and 1:11.66, Thegirlinthatsong got the mile in 1:36.99 en route to her biggest career win.“She’s been training well here and we were looking for a good effort from her,” said Hollendorfer. “I think Rafael wanted to stay back a little more than what I wanted him to. I asked him to stay as close as he could and be comfortable, so he did that, and that ended up working out well.”Off at 6-1, Thegirlinthatsong paid $15.00, $4.20 and $2.60. Owned by Gatto, Hollendorfer, and Tim and Peter Russo, she picked up $120,000 for the win, increasing her earnings to $407,695.“I thought Lexie Lou and Jojo Warrior would go to the lead so I expected to put my horse right behind Jojo Warrior after the break,” said Bejarano. “When we broke, my horse was real fresh…I just put us right behind and I had a beautiful trip. By the three eighths pole, I still felt I had a lot of horse and when I let her go in the stretch, she took off.”Ridden by Corey Nakatani, Lexie Lou, who came off a second place finish to likely Horse of the Year California Chrome in the Grade I Hollywood Derby at Del Mar, was just up for the place by a head over Jojo Warrior while never threatening for the win. She paid $2.80 and $2.20.“Not bad for her first time on dirt, not bad at all,” said Nakatani. “When Jojo Warrior kind of crossed over (going into the first turn) she got a little dirt in her face and she started to jump a little. I lost our position but for her first time on dirt, she showed her heart and she ran a big race. The farther the better with her.”Jojo Warrior, who was ridden by Martin Garcia and appeared to be running easily on the lead, finished 5 ¾ lengths clear of longshot Une Cherise and paid $2.60 to show.There is a Pick Six carryover into Sunday at Santa Anita of $104,326 and it’s expected Sunday’s total pool should exceed $500,000. First post time is at 12:30 p.m., admission gates open at 10:30 a.m. PICK SIX CARRYOVER OF $104,326 INTO SUNDAY, TOTAL POOL SHOULD EXCEED $500,000last_img read more

Continue Reading

LITTLE RED FEATHER’S FIRST CROWDFUNDING PARTNERSHIP COMBINES WITH HRONIS RACING TO TAKE SUNDAY’S FIRST RACE WITH PROMISING 3-YEAR-OLD CISTRON

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 6, 2017)–Cistron, a 3-year-old Kentucky-bred colt by The Factor, provided Hronis Racing and Little Red Feather’s all-new Equity Crowdfunding Partnership with their first collaborative winner, as he took Santa Anita’s first race on Sunday, a $56,000 allowance for 3-year-olds at one mile on turf. Ridden by Luis Contreras and trained by John Sadler, he prevailed by a head while getting the distance in 1:35.20.With an overflow crowd of enthusiastic partners celebrating in the Santa Anita Winner’s Circle, the win is the byproduct of a marketing collaboration between Little Red Feather Racing and Santa Anita Park that was first announced in October. The Crowdfunding platform is designed to reach potential new horse owners and provide them with an opportunity to have equity in a top race horse for a relatively small investment.​”We want to sincerely thank Kosta Hronis for allowing us to buy-in on this very promising horse,” said Billy Koch, Managing Partner for Little Red Feather Racing.  “We also want to thank Santa Anita for helping us to bring new owners into our sport – and just as importantly – making sure they were all treated like the real owners they are today with the fantastic hospitality.  This was a great win for us today, as many of our Equity Crowdfunding partners are first-time owners and that makes it really special.”                   Cistron, who is also Triple Crown nominated, was most recently third in the Eddie Logan Stakes on Dec. 30, and was making his fifth career start today. Sent off at 8-5 in a field of six, he paid $5.20, $3.40 and $2.10.Link to Cistron’s winning race and Winner’s Circle Celebration – http://www.xbtv.com/replay02052017_1/ TRAINED BY SADLER, DERBY HOPEFUL IS FIRST WINNER FOR ENTHUSIASTIC NEW OWNERSHIP GROUPlast_img read more

Continue Reading