Saito continues to prove worth

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Saito continues to prove worth

first_imgBy Tony Jackson STAFF WRITER Takashi Saito added another $50,000 to his 2007 salary on Thursday night by blowing away two San Diego batters and getting the third one to ground weakly to second base for Saito’s 38th save in his second season as the Dodgers’ closer. It also was his 50th game finished, and that statistic gave him another performance bonus and a salary of $1.15 million, with an outside chance still to max out those bonuses and earn $1.3 million. Even if he does max them out, he remains one of baseball’s best bargains. Saito has become one of the game’s most dominant closers barely 18 months after he came to spring training with the Dodgers on a minor league contract. He has converted 38 of his 41 save opportunities this season, allowed only four of 11 inherited runners to score and retired the first batter 47 times in his 58 appearances. And while no closer will ever pitch enough innings to qualify for the ERA title, Saito’s mark of 1.24 is the best among all major league pitchers with at least 50 innings. “I think Saito is one of the great stories in baseball since the day he showed up in Vero Beach and pitched his way onto the club,” Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said. “He has pitched really well, and he pitches efficiently. He shows the great value of throwing strikes. Most of the time, he is ahead in the count, and that is a good lesson for all.” Saito has been especially dominant lately. He hasn’t given up a hit in any of his last four outings, during which he has faced just one batter more than the minimum. “His workload during this last month hasn’t been steady,” Dodgers manager Grady Little said. “He might work four or five days in a row and then be off two or three days, and I think that has helped. A lot of it has to do with him throwing 94 to 95 miles-an-hour, but a lot has to do with location, too. And this guy doesn’t shy away from anything.” The best news for the Dodgers might be the fact they know they probably will have Saito for at least one more season. Although he is 37 and spent 14 seasons with the Yokohama BayStars, he is in just his second season in the United States and thus has the same status as any other second-year player. He won’t even be eligible for arbitration until after 2008, and the Dodgers hold the rights to him through 2011. Interleague schedule Although the Dodgers’ 2008 schedule remains highly subject to change and thus is a tightly guarded secret around Chavez Ravine, the Daily Breeze has learned that the club is tentatively scheduled to host nine interleague games against the Angels, Cleveland and the Chicago White Sox and will play six road games at the Angels and Detroit. Dates of those games were not available. The Dodgers have played nine interleague road games and six home games each of the past several seasons, and they went a combined 4-23 in American League parks from 2005-07. Thus, the fact it looks like they will host nine games next year while playing only six on the road is somewhat significant. Defying time As Dodgers employees prepared for Friday night’s pregame ceremony honoring Tommy Lasorda’s 80th birthday – which, by the way, isn’t for another week, when the team is on the road – the Hall of Fame manager said he does not, in any way, feel like an octogenarian. “People ask me how I feel, and I say I’m like those cars that come out of Earl Scheib,” Lasorda said. “They might look good on the outside, but you don’t know what is under the hood. But the key is staying active, and I also love what I’m doing. If a man really, truly loves what he is doing, then Old Man Sickness and Death will get tired of chasing him because he has no chance to catch him.” Lasorda has played an active role in the Dodgers’ front office – including extensive travel and countless trips to Japan – since retiring as the manager in 1996. tony.jackson@dailynews.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Continue Reading

Joburg property now online

first_img12 July 2005Information about property in Johannesburg is now available online.The city’s economic development unit, working with the South African Property Owners Association (Sapoa), has set up two online databases – one covering 25 business nodes across the city and the other containing information about residential property in the inner city.To view the online property maps, go to City of Johannesburg e-services and click on the map. Depending on your internet connection there may be a wait for all the map data to be retrieved.The databases are to be continuously updated and extended over a three-year period at a cost of R4-million, says Li Pernegger, programme manager for economic area regeneration in the unit.Pernegger says the business node database summarises information on 25 business nodes.“The data will provide you with a snapshot of the business node at a specific point in time and the user can also compare nodes. In future you will be able to view development trends in the nodes.”The two databases are available to members of the public free of charge.The business nodes database provides information for the property sector, with an appraisal of 25 business nodes to assess their economic prospects. It also contains a brief overview of each node, including history, node description and catchment area.In due course, says Pernegger, “we will consolidate the two into one Economic Activity Areas database that contains both erf-based and property sector-related information”.The inner city database provides detailed information on buildings in parts of the inner city, giving an idea of property values across the region, from the most expensive skyscrapers to more humble dwellings.Initially, offering information on certain parts of the central business district, Braamfontein and Newtown, it will gradually be extended to cover more parts of the city.The two databases are hosted by the city’s corporate geographical information services (CGIS). In its January sitting, the council endorsed the proposal to set up a property database jointly with Sapoa, clearing the way for the joint venture, the first such partnership in the country, to be implemented.Sapoa is the representative body of the commercial and industrial property sector in the country.Source: City of Johannesburglast_img read more

Continue Reading

Goldblatt: half a century in photos

first_img18 August 2005A retrospective of David Goldblatt’s works, spanning his 51 years in photography, opened this week at the Johannesburg Art Gallery.The exhibition includes more than 250 photographs taken between 1948 to 2002 that document the changes South Africa has undergone.Fifty One Years, the name of the exhibition, is a Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona production. It was originally curated by Corinne Diserens and Okwui Enwezor.So far, it has been seen in galleries and museums in New York, Barcelona, Rotterdam, Lisbon, Oxford, Brussels and Munich.Khwezi Gule, curator for contemporary collections at the Johannesburg Art Gallery, describes the exhibition as “a tribute to Goldblatt’s contribution to the world of photography, not only in South Africa but in the world.”Miners going home: Mayfair railway station, Johannesburg, December 1952Born in Randfontein in 1930, Goldblatt became interested in photography while in high school. He wanted to become a magazine photographer after he matriculated, in 1948. However, after trying in vain to join the industry, he went to work in the family business selling men’s wear.After his father died in 1962 he sold the family business and devoted his time to photography.“My professional work has been almost entirely outside the studio and has involved a broad variety of assignments for magazines, corporations and institutions in South Africa and overseas,” Goldblatt wrote in a piece for the Goodman Gallery website.Source: City of Johannesburglast_img read more

Continue Reading

South African team leads study on anti-HIV gel

first_imgThe Facts 001 study will enrol 2 200women aged 18 to 30 years at seventrial sites across South Africa to testthe effectiveness and safety of tenofovirgel to reduce HIV infection in women.(Image: actup.org)MEDIA CONTACTS• Salim Abdool KarimCaprisa+27 31 260 4548RELATED ARTICLES• Anti-Aids gel offers hope• New research key to HIV treatment• HIV vaccine hope for Africans • HIV vaccine breaks new groundNosimilo RamelaA South African team of researchers will soon lead a major follow-up clinical trial to confirm the effectiveness and safety of tenofovir gel, an antiretroviral microbicide, which has been proven to reduce HIV infection in women.The clinical trial, named the Facts 001 study, will expand on the findings of the initial phase IIb study, called Caprisa 004, which were presented last year. The Caprisa 004 study examined the concept of using a product for Aids treatment in HIV prevention.The Durban-based Centre for the Aids Programme of Research in South Africa (Caprisa) put 889 women on the study over two years. They found that a vaginal gel containing the antiretroviral drug tenofovir was 39% effective in reducing HIV risk when used before and after sex. It was 54% effective when used more consistently, and also halved the incidence of genital herpes infections.However, Caprisa 004 was a small trial and was not designed for licensure purposes. In order for the gel to be licensed for distribution and use, another study with more participants needed to be conducted.Prof Helen Rees, executive director of the Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute, will be leading the Facts 001 study.She said: “If we’re going to do licensure, we’ve got to demonstrate safety in thousands of women. We don’t have enough safety data yet. Through this new study we want to build up the body of knowledge of this gel so that we can put all of this data together and, assuming that we have got an effective product, apply for licensure.”Rees said the objectives of the study are to confirm the Caprisa 004 results in larger and more diverse populations, as the initial study was only done on two populations in KwaZulu-Natal where the HIV incidence is extremely high.The Facts 001 study will examine the effectiveness of the gel against HIV in different sorts of populations where the HIV incidence is lower, in other parts of the country.Honouring the unsung heroes“We are very pleased to be associated with the Facts 001 study and hope that the results of this study will confirm the positive Caprisa 004 results, making it possible to provide a technology that can help protect women against HIV and Aids,” said Derek Hanekom, deputy minister of science and technology.Funded by South Africa’s Department of Science and Technology, the Department of Health and the US Agency for International Development, the Facts 001 study plans to enrol 2 200 women aged 18 to 30 years at seven trial sites across South Africa.This will be the first South African-led team of scientists to conduct HIV research at seven centres, said Rees. She said international scientists collaborating with local peers usually led multi-site trials.“We are very proud of the South African researchers who constantly prove that they are world-class,” said Hanekom. “We would also like to honour the women who are an integral part of these studies – they are the unsung heroes.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

Six injured as bus falls into drain

first_imgSix persons were injured when a Rajasthan Roadways bus, in which they were travelling, plunged into a drain near Chaksu on National Highway-12, about 40 km from here, early morning on February 5. The accident took place at a bridge near the Sheetla dam in Chaksu town.The bus was pulled out of the drain with the help of a crane, while the passengers were rescued through boats. Three of those injured were referred to Sawai Man Singh Government Hospital in Jaipur for treatment.The civil defence and police teams were pressed into service for the rescue operation, while the local villagers rushed to pull the passengers out of water. The bus with about 30 passengers was travelling from Jaipur to Kota.According to the initial reports, the driver lost control when the bus was crossing the bridge. The bus fell into the drain after breaking the railing of the bridge.last_img read more

Continue Reading