ORANGE-IBERIA officials at the launch of the new Orange Store on Carey Street, Monrovia.In furtherance of its mission to provide an unparalleled customer experience, the Management of Orange Liberia has formally opened a new store located at Carey Street in downtown Monrovia. The opening took place at a ceremony held on the premises of the facility on Thursday, January 17, 2019. The new store features extended store hours for purchases of telecommunications products and an Orange Money Bank providing Orange Money services with 24 hours of operations.Mrs. Uomah Witherspoon, Stores and Points of Sale Manager for Orange Liberia, said that store had been created to provide ease and convenience for Orange Liberia’s customers. She noted that the store would have three agents during the day and two at night.The store, which would cater to the needs of customers needing to purchase phones, scratch cards, e-recharge, SIM card retrieval, and other communications related services would be opened from Monday to Saturday all day. The Orange Money Bank, which would provide financial services like deposit and withdrawal via Orange Money would be opened 24 hours a day and 7 days a week with tight security.Franchise partner George N. Moussa Nehme, said that the development of the new store had been in the pipeline for some time but that he was grateful that it was now coming to fruition. Said Mr. Nehme: “I am honored and proud to be involved in the opening of this new Orange store. This marks a new and important moment in the history of Liberia.”He went on to explain the innovative nature of the facility and noted: today, history is in the making because even commercial banks are not opened at night in Liberia. But from today, Orange Money Bank will be opened day and night to provide services to our people.”Visiting guest, Stephane Varret, Deputy CEO of Orange Ivory Coast, who spoke on behalf of Orange Group and Orange-Liberia Board of Directors, thanked all parties involved and noted that Orange had already invested 70 million of United States Dollars and would continue to invest heavily in Liberia to ensure that the company would always remain on top as a leader in the Liberian telecommunications and mobile money sector.Following the speeches, Mrs. Benedicte David, Orange West, and Central Africa Group Vice President, together with Mamadou Coulibaly, CEO of Orange Liberia and the representatives of the City of Monrovia, cut the ribbon to formally open the store, which has now begun serving customers.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Bartica Massacre TrialCelbert Reece pled guilty to 12 counts of manslaughterEight years after the brutal slaying, a trial will finally proceed after three accused in the Bartica massacre pleaded not guilty, while two others pled guilty on a lesser count. Celbert Reece – one of the five men charged with the February 2008 massacre which left 12 persons dead – on Tuesday pleaded guilty to manslaughter, which makes him the second person to enter a guilty plea in as many days.This jarring revelation was made after Defence Counsel Madan Kissoon indicated that his client wished to enter the not guilty plea. The defendant who was clad in white, pleaded not guilty to the first indictment of the murders, but guilty on the lesser count for his involvement in the deaths which included three law enforcement officers. Lead Prosecutor Diana Kowlessar who read out the defendant’s statements, noted that Reece, called “Chi Chi” explained that on the day before the murderous acts were carried out, he received threats against him via a telephone call from “Fine Man” and he was later held up by fourmen armed with AK-47’s and a car driver who carried a hand gun at East La Penitence. The court heard that this car took him to the Parika bus terminal in Georgetown where he and two other men travelled by bus to Parika. The defendant further claimed that he was “forcibly contracted” to drive the gunmen by boat from Parika to Bartica and to and from a resting place on a nearby island. During the period of his many “forced” transits, he had driven the boat which had two drums of gasoline, to an old wharf in Tiger Bay where he met up with a woman before he briefly saw his family. Reece stated that co-accused Dennis Williams called him via phone and he along with seven other men later boarded a boat once again and “Sad Man” put an AK to his back. He was not released because, according to him, he was the one to fix any problems that arose with the boat’s engine.The court later heard that the gang bought more fuel after they returned to Tiger Bay after he bought food with a male and female.The men returned to the getaway island.Recalling the fateful night of the massacre, the defendant said that he and seven other men left the island at 18:00h for Bartica and he docked the boat. Reece also claimed that he heard gunshots and even witnessed five of the 12 victims being shot to the head by “Fine Man”. The court heard that after Reece set the boat adrift at a camp, two safes were opened which contained gold and jewellery. The defendant added that all men were paid six ounces of gold each.He said he later escaped from “Fine Man” and his henchmen some three months later after which he was captured by Police on May 27, 2008, when he was pointed out in a car while accompanying his friend, “Randy” who was also wanted for murder.Reece’s not guilty plea comes just one day after co-accused Michael Caesar also pleaded guilty to 12 counts of manslaughter. Caesar on Monday claimed that after the boat docked, he was dressed in a soldier’s uniform and carried an AK-47 and two handguns.Justice George ordered a probation report for the two accused and they will make their next court appearance on December 16 for sentencing. Meanwhile, the three other accused, Mark Williams, Dennis “Anaconda” Williams and Roger Simon, all pled not guilty to 12 counts of murder and their trial will start this morning at 09:00h.Over 30 witnesses are expected to testify in the High Court trial of the three accused.The five, allegedly being a part of the Rondell “Fine Man” Rawlins’ gang attacked the town and fatally shot 12 persons, namely Police Lance Corporal ZaheerZakir and Constables Shane Fredericks and Ron Osborne. Additionally, Edwin Gilkes, Dexter Adrian, Irving Ferreira, Deonarine Singh, Ronald Gomes, Ashraf Khan, Abdool Yasseen, Errol Thomas and Baldeo Singh were the civilians killed.
The big event to cap off the week is a fundraiser being held at Dr. Kearney Junior High, in honour of local Paralympic gold medallist Bo Hedges. As Nancy Harris, the Northern Coordinator for the Lets Play Program, says, they are hoping to get wheelchairs for school district use.“We’re doing a fundraising event to purchase wheelchairs to be used at School District 60,” she says. “We’ve actually brought several chairs that have been donated to School District 60 with us. We’re trying to get a minimum – and I say minimum because we can always use more – of 12 sport chairs donated or fundraised for, to get floating through School District 60.”The wheelchairs will be used by children of all abilities to experience wheelchair sports.- Advertisement -Harris says the event will include games with members of the local RCMP and Fire Department.“We’ll be doing some three on three basketball, the RCMP will be playing somebody, some firefighters, there’s a bunch of individual teams coming into play,” she says. “It’s open to the public by donation. We’re looking for extra or external sponsorship for chairs and we’ll be able to issue tax deductible receipts.”Harris adds that they have a great deal with their equipment company which will only help the cause.Advertisement “We’ve got an excellent deal with our local equipment supply dealer. The price of the wheelchairs are about $4000, and we’re getting them for $2,000,” she says. “If some group wants to get together, or if we get a sponsor, we can get the logo on the back, so there is acknowledgement on the chairs.”Friday’s fundraiser gets underway at 6 p.m.
A Mahrez corner allowed Aymeric Laporte to nod City into a 2-1 first-half lead and the north African struck the third goal on 63 minutes to put his side firmly on the path to glory.ENGLANDRIYAD MAHREZ (Manchester City)City dominated the second half at Brighton and with 63 minutes gone the 28-year-old Algerian cut in from the wing and unleashed a right-foot shot that gave his club a 3-1 advantage.France-born Mahrez has two Premier League winners medals having been part of the Leicester City side that sensationally became champions three years ago.SADIO MANE (Liverpool)Liverpool’s Senegalese striker Sadio Mane celebrates scoring the opening goal during the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on May 12, 2019. © AFP / Paul ELLISSenegalese Mane scored twice in Liverpool’s 2-0 win against Wolves to earn a share of the Premier League’s Golden Boot award.The Senegal forward, 27, ended the season with 22 league goals, level with teammate and last year’s winner Mohamed Salah of Egypt as Liverpool finished on 97 points, one behind Manchester City.PIERRE-EMERICK AUBAMEYANG (Arsenal)Arsenal forward Aubameyang grabbed a share of the Premier League Golden Boot award with two goals in a 3-1 win at Burnley on the last day of the season.The Gabon forward’s goals meant he finished with 22 in the league — the same number as Mane and Salah.SPAINKARL TOKO EKAMBI (Villarreal)Ekambi scored his 18th goal of the season to fire Villarreal to a 1-0 win over Eibar in La Liga.The Cameroon forward struck the winner in the 59th minute for his sixth goal in nine matches.Villarreal’s victory leaves them 14th in the table ahead of their last game of the season away to Getafe next weekend.DJENE DAKONAM (Getafe)Getafe’s Dakonam scored an own-goal in a 2-0 defeat to Barcelona.The Togolese poked into his own net as Lionel Messi looked to pounce on a one-two with Sergi Roberto at Camp Nou.Arturo Vidal had already put Barca ahead as Getafe slipped out of the top four, with a final game at home to Villarreal to come next weekend.ITALYMUSA BARROW (Atalanta)Atalanta’s Gambian forward Musa Barrow (R) celebrates with Atalanta’s Colombian forward Duvan Zapata after opening the scoring during the Italian Serie A football match Atalanta Bergama vs Genoa on May 11, 2019 at the Mapei Stadium – Citta del Tricolore in Reggio Emilia. © AFP / Miguel MEDINAGambian international Barrow broke through immediately after being introduced as a substitute at the break.His first goal this season in a 2-1 win over Genoa put Atalanta third in Serie A and close to a first Champions League qualification.MEHDI BOURABIA (Sassuolo)Moroccan midfielder Bourabia put Sassuolo ahead after 27 minutes against Torino but was sent off immediately after for a second yellow card after celebrating by pulling his jersey over his head, as his side fell to a 3-2 defeat.Brighton sacked manager Chris Hughton on Monday in what chairman Tony Bloom described as “one of the most difficult decisions” he had ever had to makeFrankfurt’s French defender Simon Falette (L) vies with Mainz’ Nigerian forward Anthony Ujah during the German first division Bundesliga football match Eintracht Frankfurt versus Mainz 05 on May 12, 2019 in Frankfurt am Main. © AFP / Daniel ROLANDThe Nigerian scored twice in four minutes soon after half-time to give Mainz a 2-0 Bundesliga win at Eintracht Frankfurt, who were beaten on penalties by Chelsea in a Europa League semi-final last Thursday.It was a surprise result as Frankfurt are six places above Mainz and the loss completed a disastrous eight days for Eintracht after a 6-1 drubbing at Bayer Leverkusen last weekend.IHLAS BEBOU (Hanover)Togolese striker Bebou found the net for Hanover against Freiburg, but even a 3-0 win was not enough to save his side from relegation.Bebou prodded the ball in from close range to score Hanover’s second as they picked up only a fifth win of the season.SALOMON KALOU (Hertha Berlin)Ivorian veteran Kalou scored an injury-time penalty to snatch a late 4-3 victory for Hertha in an entertaining dead-rubber in Augsburg.Hertha went behind three times, but Kalou equalised after 75 minutes before completing his brace from 12 yards with the last kick of the game.CHADRAC AKOLO (Stuttgart)Democratic Republic of Congo international Akolo made his first appearance since February as Stuttgart secured the relegation play-off place with a 3-0 win over Wolfsburg.The midfielder fell out of favour under former coach Markus Weinzierl, but interim boss Nico Willig welcomed Akolo back into the fold on Saturday.AMADOU HAIDARA (RB Leipzig)The Mali international came off the bench as Leipzig spoiled Bayern Munich’s title party with a 0-0 draw.Bayern missed the chance to wrap up a seventh consecutive title as Borussia Dortmund clawed back two points with a win over Fortuna Duesseldorf to send the title race to the wire.NASSIM BOUJELLAB (Schalke)Midfielder Boujellab, who has played for Morocco at under-23 level, set up Guido Burgstaller for Schalke’s equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Bayer Leverkusen.Burgstaller’s goal saw Leverkusen miss out on the chance to break into the top four and take pole position in the race for Champions League qualification.FRANCEMAXWEL CORNET (Lyon)Lyon’s Ivorian forward Maxwell Gnaly Cornet celebrates after scoring a goal during the French L1 football match between Olympique de Marseille (OM) and Olympique Lyonnais (OL) at the Velodrome stadium in Marseille, on May 12, 2019. © AFP / GERARD JULIENThe Ivorian doubled his meagre league tally for the season with two goals in a 3-0 win at Marseille.Cornet controlled a wayward long-range shot from teammate Houssem Aouar, holding off a pair of defenders to slot home the opening goal on 25 minutes.He then raced clear after another Aouar pass to stroke home Lyon’s third late on as they pulled four points clear in the final Champions League qualifying spot.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Manchester City’s Algerian midfielder Riyad Mahrez (R) scores their third goal during the English Premier League football match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Manchester City at the American Express Community Stadium in Brighton, southern England on May 12, 2019. © AFP / Glyn KIRKPARIS, France, May 13 – Algeria winger and 2016 African Footballer of the Year Riyad Mahrez created the second goal and scored the third for Manchester City as they won a second successive Premier League title.He was the stand-out African in Europe at the weekend as star-stacked City triumphed 4-1 at lowly Brighton to pip Liverpool by one point after a thrilling race.
NEW YORK – A commuter hailed as a hero for saving a teenager who fell in front of a subway train has settled with his own lawyer over lawsuits they filed against each other. Wesley Autrey Sr. had accused lawyer Diane L. Kleiman and her business partner Marc Antonio Esposito, of Marco Antonio Productions, of having him sign an unfair contract that gave them most of any money he earned because of his fame. Kleiman, meanwhile, sued Autrey for legal fees and compensation for damage to her reputation. She denied that she cheated the 50-year-old construction worker and said he made her look like a money-hungry crook. The agreement, called a stipulation, voided all agreements, whether oral or in writing, involving Autrey, Kleiman and Esposito and ended their dueling lawsuits. State Supreme Court Justice Bernard J. Fried signed off on the stipulation and filed it last week. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Autrey caught the public’s attention Jan. 2, 2007, after a 19-year-old film student had a seizure and fell onto the subway tracks at a Manhattan station. Autrey, on the platform with other commuters as a train approached, leaped down and pulled the teen into the foot-deep drainage trough between the tracks and lay on top of him as the train passed over their heads. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!