AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Writers Guild of America board members voted unanimously Friday to begin the strike at 12:01a.m. unless studios offered a more lucrative deal with a bigger cut from video sales and shows sold or streamed over the Web. “The studios made it clear that they would rather shut down this town than reach a fair and reasonable deal,” Patric Verrone, president of the western chapter of the guild, said at a news conference. The union said it would stage its first pickets in New York and Los Angeles after strike captains meet today to finalize details. Both sides agreed late Friday to meet with a federal mediator on Sunday in a last-ditch effort to avoid a strike. The meeting will take place at a neutral location to be determined, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers said. Earlier in the day, J. Nicholas Counter, president of the producers’ group, called the writers’ strike “precipitous and irresponsible” in a prepared statement. DISPUTE: Mediator will meet with group and producers Sunday, but plans move ahead. By Gary Gentile The Associated Press Film and TV writers prepared to go on strike Monday for the first time in two decades to break what has become a high-stakes stalemate with the world’s largest media companies over profits from DVDs and programming on the Internet. Producers believe progress can be made on other issues but “it makes absolutely no sense to increase the burden of this additional compensation” involving DVDs and the Internet, he said. Last year alone, members of the western chapter of the guild were paid $56 million in additional compensation from DVD residuals, he said. Counter declined a request by The Associated Press for further comment. Among other media giants, the alliance represents CBS Corp., NBC Universal, a unit of General Electric Co., and The Walt Disney Co., owner of the ABC network. The negotiations began in July and were joined this week by the mediator. The first casualty of the strike would be late-night talk shows, which are dependent on current events to fuel monologues and other entertainment. “The Tonight Show” on NBC will go into reruns starting Monday if last-ditch negotiations fail and a strike begins, according to a network official. Garth Brooks and Tommy Lee Jones were the scheduled guests. Comedy Central has said “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “The Colbert Report” would likely go into repeats as well. A message left seeking CBS comment on plans for “The Late Show with David Letterman” in New York was not immediately returned Friday evening.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Highly anticipated work is set to begin today (Sat) on a walkway from Donegal Town to Killymard Church and school.The project is being carried out under the Community Improvement Scheme (CIS) in conjunction with Killymard Old Church Restoration Committee and Donegal County Council.It is understood that members from the committee will take charge of major clearance work on the site before Donegal Council’s road crew put the walkway in place over an eight-week period. A spokesperson for the Killymard Old Church Restoration Committee said: “We are delighted to announce that work will begin on the walkway from Donegal Town to Killymard Church and School on Saturday.”“Of course this will mean that there are some disruptions but I’m sure you will all agree that this is a much-needed walkway that will allow safer use of this very busy road for pedestrians.“We suggest that you allow extra time for your journeys if using this road, or consider alternative routes.“Thank you for your co-operation.” Work set to begin today on walkway in south Donegal was last modified: October 4th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Johannesburg-based Blue Label Telecoms is a market leader in the distribution of prepaid products and services to unbanked and under-banked consumers in emerging and developing economies across the globe. Blue Label joint CEO Brett Levy pointed out that more than 80% of the South African population purchased airtime on a prepaid basis. “More so, as our customer base increases we want to ensure that they have easy access to our products and services on a national basis and with this new partnership we are convinced that there will be a strong uptake from the customers using our services,” said Pandey. South African telecoms operator Neotel has appointed Blue Label Telecoms as its e-voucher vendor partner. He explained that with over 130 000 points of presence in South Africa, Blue Label was a leading company in voucher services and had a proven, viable solution that met Neotel’s needs. “Blue Label Telecoms has over ten years experience in this growing space and has built long-term partnerships with our distribution network to ensure that prepaid products and services are conveniently available for our client’s customers,” he said. “We are excited to be working with Neotel to extend their reach into the market.” To date, Neotel has entered into strategic partnerships in place with Altech Autopage Cellular, Postnet South Africa, Samsung and Nashua, while also opening retail stores in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban and Cape Town. 28 July 2010 “Neotel will soon be launching prepaid services to the market and we required a partner that had a wide operational footprint, and with Blue Label Telecoms we have gained that reach into their extensive distribution network, including large chain stores, independent retailers and petroleum forecourts,” Neotel CEO Ajay Pandey said in a statement this week. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Allen Gahler, Ohio State University ExtensionNorthern Ohio Crops Day, held annually on the first Thursday in February at Ole Zim’s Wagon Shed near Gibsonburg, Ohio in Sandusky County is all set for another outstanding program that the progressive grain crop producer will not want to miss.Thursday, Feb. 7, 2019, the program will begin at 8:30 a.m. with a look at fungicide use in alfalfa led by Jason Hartschuh, Ag Educator in Crawford County. Alan Sundermeier, Ag Educator in Wood County will then provide an update on the status of palmer amaranth and waterhemp in the area along with management strategies. A discussion on temperature inversions and their impact on our spray practices will be led by OSU Extension climatologist Aaron Wilson.Greg Labarge, OSU Extension agronomic systems specialist will give an update on where we’ve been and what we’ve learned on Lake Erie, phosphorous, and water quality, and Andrew Kleinschmidt from OSU’s Ag Engineering department will present research findings on high speed planters and pinch row mitigation.Chris Zoller, Ag Educator in Tuscarawas County will lead a discussion on financial strategies and farm management in difficult economic times, and Allen Gahler, Ag Educator in Sandusky County will present local research findings from a study analyzing the use of cover crops as forages for livestock feed.CCA credits will be available. Pesticide license holders that attend the entire program will receive 3 hours of certification including all categories, and commercial credits will be available as well. Fertilizer re-certification will be covered beginning at 1:00 p.m. Registration is open at 8:00 a.m. with morning refreshments and time to visit with local sponsors, and the program beginning at 8:30. Lunch will be served by the Ole Zims staff. Sponsors include several local ag businesses, and plenty of time will be available for participants to visit their display tables. There is a $50 registration fee for the program, which includes all certification credits, and pre-registration is required by calling the Sandusky County Extension office at 419-334-6340 or by emailing Allen Gahler at email@example.com.
The Lady Bulldogs streaked to their third straight win while the Lady Warriors are at the bottom with a 0-3 card.After going back and forth against the Lady Warriors and trailing, 10-11, midway through the fourth set, the Lady Bulldogs went on a 13-2 run to take a 23-13 lead, with Aiko Urdas finishing it off with a through-the-block kill.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNU head coach Babes Castillo said they had a good win, but after seeing his team falter in the second set he knew his players could do better.“The win earlier was a good win, but it was not a good performance,” said Castillo in Filipino. “I told them to forget about the second set and let’s move on, it’s already marked on the card.” Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting National University recovered from a dismal second set to beat University of the East, 25-15, 18-25, 25-23, 25-19, and stay undefeated in the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament Sunday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.ADVERTISEMENT Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The Lady Eagles tied the Tigresses at 1-2.UST suffered a double whammy when it lost libero Rica Rivera to a right knee injury in the first set. Assistant coach Mark Alfafara said the initial assessment was a torn meniscus. —BONG LOZADA, INQUIRER.NET “My players’ captain responded on the dot on what the situation needed and the team will go with the captain,” Castillo said, referring to Jaja Santiago.When NU committed four straight errors that allowed UE to trim the deficit to six in the fourth set, 23-17, it was Santiago who stopped the Lady Warriors’ fun with a well-placed kill that put the Lady Bulldogs on match point, 24-17.Santiago led the Lady Bulldogs’ charge with 23 points while Roselyn Doria added 12 points.Shaya Adorador and May Ann Mendrez led UE with 11 points apiece.In the other match, Ateneo notched its first win after taking down University of Santo Tomas, 16-25, 25-22, 25-22, 25-23.ADVERTISEMENT View comments NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Read Next Last-ditch stand by PBA underdogs Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City AFP official booed out of forum
Junior engineer Pabitra Majhi after his release The hostage crisis in Orissa ended on Thursday evening with the Maoists freeing Malkangiri collector R.V. Krishna, one of the mediators, Dandapani Mohanty, has said. Krishna, who had been abducted on February 16 along with junior engineer Pabitra Majhi, was released after nine days of captivity. Majhi, 22, was freed on Wednesday.Chitrakonda Tahsildar D. Gopalakrishna said Krishna was released by Maoists on Thursday evening and was on his way to his home in Malkangiri, which is about 90 km from the spot where the official was freed.The 30-year-old IIT graduate-turned IAS officer was released before a “people’s court” by his abductors in a forested area in Jantapai close to the area where he was abducted along with Majhi, eyewitnesses said.TV footage showed Krishna in a check shirt and a blue pant sitting on a boulder with folded hands appearing to be in good health listening as an unidentified man spoke about the problems faced by villagers. Malkangiri is about 650 km from the state capital. Krishna, who sported an occasional smile, was also seen eating out with his hand from a plate. Inspector in-charge of Chitrakonda Rajesh Chhatria said Krishna was released at Jantapai area.Meanwhile, social activist Swami Agnivesh, whose participation in the process was sought by the Maoists, said the collector had been handed over to the media before 6 PM. Meanwhile, Krishna’s father Rambabu said, “We have seen Krishna’s visuals.”Though Majhi was set free on Wednesday, the abductors had put forward new demands for the release of the 2005 batch IAS officer. They had demanded immediate release of five senior Maoist leaders apart from Ganti Prasadam, who has been granted bail by Orissa High Court.advertisementPrasadam was taken to Koraput on Thursday morning for his release on bail by the sub-divisional judicial magistrate there, but the process is likely to take more time.