Ainsley Maitland-Niles 1 Arsenal youngster Ainsley Maitland-Niles has joined Championship Ipswich on a season-long loan deal, just as talkSPORT told you on Tuesday.The England Under-18 international, who made his senior debut for the club last season, will spend the 2015/16 campaign at Portman Road as Mick McCarthy’s men target another promotion drive.A club statement said: “Young midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles will spend the 2015/16 season on loan with Ipswich Town.“The England Under-18 international enjoyed a promising year with Arsenal last term. Everyone at Arsenal wishes Ainsley well for the 2015/16 season as he looks to gain more senior experience.”Maitland-Niles, 17, became the second youngest player to represent Arsenal in the Champions League when he was introduced as a substitute in the 4-1 victory at Galatasaray in December last year.He also saw action from the bench against Newcastle in the Barclays Premier League and Hull in the FA Cup.
Most teams would have been crawling all over each other to get their hands on Bridwell after his 2017 season. He went 10-3 with a 3.64 ERA over 20 starts that year and was emerging as a promising fixture in the … MESA, Ariz. — It’s tough when nobody wants you.Parker Bridwell was told he was no longer wanted four times this offseason. The Yankees didn’t want him. The Angels didn’t want him, twice. Even the A’s placed him on waivers shortly after claiming him. Proof baseball can be a cold game.
Pune: Popular Marathi actors Aniket Vishwasrao and Prarthana Behre had a narrow escape after their car rammed into a divider near Lonavla on the Mumbai-Pune expressway on Monday morning.The actors, along with Ms. Behre’s companion, were heading to Kolhapur to promote their upcoming film Maska when the driver of the vehicle, in a bid to avoid colliding into a parked tempo, hit a divider near the Lonavla exit.While Mr. Vishwasrao and the driver escaped unhurt, Ms. Behre, who was seated at the back, received injuries on her right hand while her companion suffered a concussion in the head, said medical sources. They were rushed to the Yash Hospital at Valvan (near Lonavla) where they are undergoing treatment.“The tempo suddenly appeared in our sights as our car turned on the bend. Unfortunately, in a bid to avoid it, our driver swerved and lost control. However, we had our seat belts on and the protective airbags deployed. So, all of us are safe,” said Mr. Vishwasrao, speaking after the mishap.The front of the vehicle — a black colour Toyota Fortuner — was badly mangled in the accident.
The Los Angeles Clippers hit the jackpot by acquiring Chris Paul, and, in turn, Paul has hit the literal jackpot with the Clippers.With NBA free-agent season underway, Paul is expected to sign a five-year extension that will pay him $107 million to stay in LA.Many teams, including the Atlanta Hawks, were hoping to make a play to lure Paul away from the Clippers. But Paul isn’t even listening to suitors. He’s signing on the line that is dotted.The free agency period began one minute after midnight Sunday, and Paul was expected to receive his official offer at that moment, according to ESPN.Locking up Paul was never a question for the Clippers, who, in the past, have been notoriously cheap. But Paul’s dynamic play and leadership at the point guard position transformed Los Angeles’ second team into a serious playoff contender–and a team that was as exciting as any.With Paul secure, the team can now look ahead to acquiring more talent around him and power forward Blake Griffin.
New York Liberty protests in support of Black Lives Matter (Fox Sports)In a defiant move Thursday, members of three WNBA teams refused to take questions about basketball at a post-game press conference in protest of a fine given for wearing black warmup t-shirts. Atlanta Black Star reported the WNBA fined the New York Liberty, Phoenix Mercury and Indiana Fever $5,000, and their team members were charged $500 each.The basketball stars wore their uniform-approved Adidas Black t-shirts that read #BlackLivesMatter and #Dallas5 – but the messages did not comply with the league’s guidelines which state uniforms must not be changed in any way. The hashtags are meant to honor the shootings done by and against police. League president Lisa Borders commended their “engagement and passionate advocacy for non-violent solutions to difficult social issues” but expected teams to comply with uniform guidelines.At the press conference Thursday afternoon following the New York Liberty and Indiana Fever’s matchup at New York’s Madison Square Garden, The Washington Post reported the players would not answer questions regarding the game or basketball but were willing to discuss social issues.LIVE on #Periscope https://t.co/Cc4rbHOROL— Excelle Sports (@ExcelleSports) July 21, 2016“We really feel like there’s still an issue here in America,” Liberty player Tanisha Wright said. “And we want to be able to use our platforms, we want to be able to use our voices, we don’t want to let anybody silence us in what we want to talk about. So you guys can ask away about anything that’s happening in society.”“It’s unfortunate that the WNBA has fined us and not supported its players,” she added.Fever forward Tamika Catchings also confirmed her team would not answer questions about their 82-70 game win or the sport itself. She mentioned the blackout was a group decision.“I think, no matter what our success is on the court, basketball is just that — it’s just basketball,” the 2012 WNBA champion said. “And there’s a whole other world outside of that, and it’s way more important than what we do.”“What’s most upsetting is the way it was handled,” Indiana Fever point guard Briann January told ESPN. “You have a league that is 90 – if not above 90 – percent African-American and you have an issue that is directly affecting them and the people they know and you have a league that isn’t willing to side with them.”Phoenix Mercury forward Mistie Bass pointed out the WNBA’s praise of team actions in support of the Orlando Shooting last month, which included wearing t-shirts.I would hope the league would feel the same way about our desire 2 use this platform 4 the recent tragedies! #taboo pic.twitter.com/agtKlYovOu— Mistie Bass (@A_Phoenix_Born) July 21, 2016Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks, who has been encouraging athletes to be social activists, also supports the protest.“I don’t see no reason to fine them,” he told ESPN. “If anything you should want to support them. I don’t know details, but don’t see a reason to fine them.”
Press Release: BISPhoto Caption: Hurricane Irma Relief Supplies arrived at Jet Aviation in Nassau, September 14, 2017 from the United States Agency for International Development/Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (USAID/OFDA). Pictured watching the supplies being offloaded are Deputy Permanent Secretary of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Chrystal Glinton (left) and US Embassy Charge d’Affaires, Lisa Johnson (right).(BIS Photos/Raymond A. Bethel, Sr.) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, September 15, 2017 – Nassau – The United States Agency for International Development/Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (USAID/OFDA) made a donation to NEMA today, September 14, 2017, of $166,000 in Hurricane Irma Relief Supplies that included 300 plastic sheeting rolls, 1,000 hygiene kits, 2,400 water containers, 1,020 kitchen sets and 1,500 blankets.Representatives of USAID/OFDA along with the Deputy Permanent Secretary of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) were at Jet Aviation in New Providence for the presentation around mid-day.Chrystal Glinton & Lisa JohnsonUS Embassy Charge d’Affaires, Lisa Johnson stated that a Boeing 767 full of supplies would arrive into New Providence from the Miami warehouse with provisions that would be sent to the Northern and Southern Bahamas.NEMA’s Deputy Permanent Secretary, Chrystal Glinton accepted the donation on behalf of NEMA and highlighted that the US Government has not only assisted after hurricanes Joaquin, Matthew and Irma, but also assists with ongoing local training programs to better prepare for disasters.
WILMINGTON, MA — Below are some of the newest job openings in Wilmington:Part-Time Boys Varsity Lacrosse Head Coach at Wilmington High SchoolPart-Time Girls Varsity Lacrosse Head Coach at Wilmington High SchoolPart-Time Girls JV Lacrosse Head Coach at Wilmington High SchoolPart-Time Cashiers & Merchandise Associates at TJ MaxxFull-Time Accounting Assistant at CutisPharmaFull-Time Shop Associate at Northland Industrial Truck CompanyFull-Time Inside Sales Representative at Harrington Industrial PlasticsFull-Time Carpet Cleaning Technician at New England Carpet MasterFull-Time Automotive Detailer at Bill Dube HyundaiFull-Time Demand Generation Marketing Manager at SOVOS Compliance(NOTE: Wilmington businesses — Feel free to send me your job postings at firstname.lastname@example.org.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedNOW HIRING: 10 New Job Openings In WilmingtonIn “Business”NOW HIRING: 10 New Job Openings In WilmingtonIn “Business”NOW HIRING: 10 New Job Openings In WilmingtonIn “Business”
Last month, IBM sacked more than 2,000 employeesCredit: ReutersIn a shocking revelation by a former vice president in an ongoing age discrimination lawsuit, International Business Machines Corp (IBM) has laid off as many as 1,00,000 employees in the last 7 years. The deposition further said that IBM took the step to enhance its appeal towards millennials and look “cool” and “trendy” as Amazon and Google. It is to be noted that the Armonk-based IT giant is facing several lawsuits accusing it of sacking older employees, including a class-action case in Manhattan and individual civil suits filed in California, Pennsylvania, and Texas.In a statement, IBM said, “The Company hires 50,000 employees each year, and spends nearly a half-billion dollars on training our team. We also receive more than 8,000 job applications every day, the highest rate that we’ve ever experienced, so there’s clear excitement about IBM’s strategy and direction for the future”.As per a report published in Bloomberg, IBM’s revenue has been shrinking since last seven years. In order to cut down on costs, the company has fired thousands of people in the US, Canada, and other high-wage markets. At the end of the year 2018, IBM’s workforce has slumped to its lowest point in six years with 3,50,600 employees globally which is 19 percent since 2013. michiganmodern.orgThe latest revelation by Alan Wild, former vice president of human resources in one of the lawsuits, claimed that IBM sacked 50,000 to 1,00,000 employees in just the last several years. In a submission to the court Wild said IBM face huge recruitment problems and with the objective to show that IBM was not “an old fuddy-duddy organization” and show itself as “as [a] cool, trendy organization” like Google and Amazon, the company sacked older employees. The document further added that following this strategy, IBM fired Texas-based Jonathan Langley, 61 after 24 years of his services in the company who filed a case. IBM filed a motion requesting the court to dismiss his case, in turn, Langley’s lawyers filed an opposition to that motion.Last month, IBM sacked more than 2,000 employees. The company had said, “We are continuing to reposition our team to align with our focus on the high-value segments of the IT market – while aggressively hiring in critical new areas that deliver value for our clients and IBM.”
The war on Southern California smog is slipping. Fixing it is a $14 billion problem Citation: Scientists design Maglev car with greater stability (2006, June 2) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2006-06-scientists-maglev-car-greater-stability.html Since the late ‘60s, scientists have been designing, building and operating “flying trains,” or magnetically levitated (“Maglev”) systems. However, the sci-fi-like technology still faces challenges for increased stability, controllability and cost-effectiveness – but scientists are making steady improvements. Maglev trains, which use the electromagnetic force to overcome gravity, have intrigued scientists for the past several decades. Levitating several centimeters above the track, the train cars have no physical contact and no friction with the track, enabling speeds of more than 400 mph. Implementing Maglevs into urban areas – or even across the country – could make a five-hour drive a smooth 40-minute ride, as well as reinvent the world’s infrastructure.The first operating low-speed Maglev systems, built in England and Germany in the mid-‘80s, are no longer in existence. However, the newest 300-mph system built in 2002 in Shanghai, China has revived political and consumer interest in the technology, despite current large construction costs. Although the city plans to extend the 18-mile track to 100 miles for the World Expo in 2010, the technology must become more economically viable with proven safety for mainstream adoption.As part of the investigation, a team of scientists (W. Yang et al.) from China has recently designed and built a new model for a Maglev car that could offer significant stability advantages over current technology. The scientists used specially fabricated high temperature superconductors (HTSC) for the cars and permanent magnets for the tracks, which demonstrate a higher levitation force and greater stability than when permanent magnets are used on both the track and car. Although the car models are only about 12 cm long and 4 cm wide, they demonstrated frictionless, stable movement across the 10-meter-long track.“The arrangement of the magnets made it easy to get a uniform magnetic field distribution along the length of the track,” wrote W. Yang et al. in a recent issue of Superconductor Science and Technology. “The model can be used [for] a fast transportation system to students and adults.”In the HTSC model, the cars are propelled by a combination of linear motors on the tracks and aluminum rotors on the cars. Photoelectric switches near the linear motors save energy by ensuring that the motors work only when the car is traveling through them.The HTSC model’s large magnetic fields across the track also provide a strong guidance force and good magnetic distribution that prohibits the cars from escaping the track. Because this magnetic configuration provides a large dragging force, it also eliminates the need for any exterior stability control.Using liquid nitrogen to cool the HTSCs to -196 degrees C, the scientists investigated different cooling methods to optimize the levitation and guidance forces. The team found that a field cooled process, which cools the magnets inside the car after the car is on the track, provides significant stability, but also requires further investigation.Citation: Yang, W. M., et al. A small Maglev car model using YBCO bulk superconductors. Superconductor Science and Technology. 19 (2006) S537-S539.By Lisa Zyga, Copyright 2006 PhysOrg.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Explore further Scientists have fabricated Maglev car models using high temperature superconducting technology, which could increase stability and inspire further developments to confront Maglev challenges. Photo credit: Wanmin Yang et al. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
KOLKATA: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has arrested a businessman identified as Sudipta Roy Chowdhury in the Rose Valley case. The ED sleuths had raided his residence on Saturday. He was arrested on Sunday morning and taken to CGO complex in Salt Lake.Sources informed that while investigating the Rose Valley case, ED officers found Roy Chowdhury is well connected with Goutam Kundu. Later, the ED sleuths came to know about his direct connection with a company named ‘Brand Value Communications’ that was owned by Kundu. It was also alleged that when he was in the company, he amassed a huge amount of money from the market by showing his political power. During the investigation process, the investigators found several property and assets of Rose Valley in the name Roy Chowdhury. Previously, it was alleged that Roy Chowdhury owns several disproportionate property as well. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeIt was alleged that he extorted money from several people under the pretext of settling up their matters in several chit fund cases those are being investigated by the CBI and the ED. The officials also came to know that he invested the extorted money in several businesses. During Saturday’s raid, several incriminating documents were seized from Roy Chowdhury’s residence. Sources informed that he would be taken in to custody after being produced before court. The ED sleuths will try find out how much money he had taken and how he had spent them. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe ED officials conducted raids at five premises across the city in connection with the Rose Valley case. Sources informed that each five-member team raided several office premises including the residence of Roy Chowdhury. It was alleged that after the CBI took over the charge of the Rose Valley case and other financial scam cases, this person met with some important persons and politicians and demanded money by promising them to settle the matter.