The U.S. Department of Transportation has awarded $2,424,030 in recovery funding to the Burlington International Airport for taxiway rehabilitation and extension, Sens. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) announced. The funding will be used to rehabilitate and repave the intersection of two taxiways and to extend a third taxiway. The projects are part of the airport’s multi-phase South End Development program, which will enhance cargo, aircraft maintenance and general aviation capabilities. Airport officials estimate the program could create as many as 350 new jobs at the airport over the next 10 years.The award is the latest federal grant made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which was signed into law in February.Leahy, Sanders and Welch said, “This federal grant will help Burlington International Airport improve its ability to serve Vermont businesses and passengers alike. Not only will it create construction jobs in the short term, it will also lead to long-term economic development through the continued improvement of the airport.”Airport director Brian Searles said, “All three members of our congressional delegation have been such great partners in the development of this airport, and this grant will help ensure that we are part of the economic recovery. We are very grateful for their work on this much needed grant”. Source: Vermont Congressional delegation. THURSDAY, August 13, 2009 —
He was called up for the England’s T-20 squad for the Tri-series in Australia and New Zealand, but did not play a single match. However, his brother Tom Curran, who was recently seen playing for Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in the Indian Premier League 2018, played two tests in England’s recent Ashes defeat in Australia.After losing the first test at Lord’s by a humiliating margin of nine wickets, veteran pacer James Anderson called on the team to show more fight in the final test of the series, which is set to be played at Headingley on Friday.”It’s going to take some special individual performances this week,” Anderson told a leading English daily. “If you get one or two individuals standing up, then people can piggyback on that and take confidence as well.”It’s quite easy for the confidence of the team to take a hit when you have a defeat like that. So we’ll try, as well as using our skill, to use our heart, to use the fight we have in the dressing room to show people what we can do.” New Delhi: Uncapped all-rounder Sam Curran has been given a debut call-up in to the England squad for the second test against Pakistan as a cover for injured Ben Stokes, the England and Wales Cricket Board said on Wednesday.Earlier, Stokes suffered a hamstring straing during fielding practice, but has not yet been ruled out of the second test match against Pakistan.The 19-year-old Curran, a left-arm seamer plays for English club Surrey and has taken more than 100 first-class wickets, and has an average of 27.18 with the bat. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisAlcona, Mich. — It’s been about 10 years since Alcona High School had a marching band. Now the program is making music again, bringing spirit to their school.For a while, a lack of funds kept Alcona from hiring a band director. One student, Ben Thomas, now a senior, decided to help raise money to get program going again. Eventually enough money was raised to hire a part time director, and soon later someone was able to come in full time.Current band director Emma Pendergrass was hired last year and said that this is a dream come true for her. “I’ve known since I was in 7th grade band myself that I wanted to be a band director,” she said. “To be able to create my own program is something that not a lot of people get to do. So I was really excited when they called and offered me the job.”The marching band currently has 22 members that take the field on football night to perform. Among those is clarinetist, Amanda de Souza, who says that there’s a new energy that’s been brought to the school. “When there was no marching band it was kind of just like, the school spirit was just kind of dead but now that the bands here it’s really alive,” she said.The band is currently holding a fundraiser to keep improving the program. By visiting the website centuryresources.com and using the code 49511, you can browse a large catalog of items for sale. Forty percent of the profit from each purchase will go to the band. “They’re hoping to raise money for new stands, new uniforms, new instruments. We need everything we can get to get the program running more smoothly,” said Pendergrass.If you want to see the new Alcona marching band, they will play at their next home football game on October 25.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Alcona Community Schools, Alcona CountyContinue ReadingPrevious Former Montmorency’s county sheriff deputy exonerated of sexual assault chargeNext Salvation Army still accepting coats for Tuesday giveaway
This undated handout photo provided by Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP shows Michele Roberts. (AP Photo/Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP)Michele Roberts has watched basketball for as long as she can remember. It was an easy choice growing up in a home with one TV and two older brothers.When she saw an interview last year with an NBA player and noticed how passionately he talked about trying to improve his embattled union, she wanted to be more than a fan. She wanted to be involved.Now the Washington trial lawyer is the first woman to lead a North American pro sports union.Roberts was elected Tuesday as executive director of the National Basketball Players Association, and she’s eager to provide the leadership it needs after a few difficult years.“They were looking for, not a man, not a woman, they were looking for a personality,” Roberts said in a phone interview. “I think I’m that personality and I intend to be what I have been in my entire practice, singularly devoted to this union. And that’s what they were looking for.“Someone, whether it be a boy or a girl, who understood that this was their union, and they intended to run it, and they were looking for someone who appreciated that and was not going to deviate from that.”Roberts received 32 of 36 votes at a meeting of players in Las Vegas, defeating tech industry CEO Dean Garfield and Dallas Mavericks CEO Terdema Ussery in the final vote.It capped a long and arduous process to replace Billy Hunter, who was ousted in February 2013. Roberts was one of the finalists initially offered to the rank-and-file during All-Star weekend in February, but the process was re-opened under another search committee at the urging of some players and agents.More than 100 players reconvened in Las Vegas this week, and after some tense moments leading up to the vote, Roberts emerged as the winner.“Obviously, I would’ve preferred that it happen sooner rather than later, but I completely understood when there were questions raised about the process,” Roberts said. “Frankly, I would not have wanted them to ignore those questions and not affirmatively address those concerns. I wanted the job in February, but I wanted the job where there would be no questions about the fairness or the process, so I completely endorsed the executive committee to address these questions, and they did and now best I can tell they’re very pleased.”The players considered more than 300 candidates during their 17-month search before picking Roberts, who has been called the finest trial lawyer in Washington by “Washingtonian Magazine.” She said her new job will feature straight, honest talk, just like she delivers to a jury, and the strategizing that made her such a successful lawyer.The search to replace Hunter, who led the NBPA from 1996 until a review of the union was critical of his business practices, leaves players with less than two years to prepare for the next potential collective bargaining talks. Either the union or the league can opt out of the current agreement in 2017.The union has struggled for years with in-fighting and a lack of organization, and the players took a significant cut in their guarantee of basketball-related income — 57 percent to about 50 percent, a drop of hundreds of millions annually in salary costs — in the contentious lockout in 2011. League revenues are on the rise, a new TV contract is set to be negotiated in 2016 and franchise valuations are skyrocketing.“As far as I’m concerned, preparations for CBA negotiations started yesterday,” Roberts said. “It’s at the top of my list of things that I’ve been instructed to begin the process of preparing for, and sure it’s a lot to do, but I’ve never been shy about hard work and long hours, so we’ll get it done. We’ll be ready.”NBA Commissioner Adam Silver congratulated Roberts in a statement, saying he looked forward to working with her “to ensure the continued health and growth of our game.”“The partnership between our players and teams is the backbone of the league, and we are eager to continue working with the Players Association to build this relationship,” Silver said.The fallout from the lockout and the Hunter ouster left the union reeling. But it also made Roberts want to get involved, which will bring the New York native back home.“The more I thought about it,” she said, “the more I thought that would be a great opportunity to do something really important.”___AP Basketball Writer Jon Krawczynski contributed to this report.