The company responsible for the design and construction of the Fort St. John Enerplex now has until September 20th to present a viable solution to the issue of safety padding around the structure’s speedskating oval. Earlier this year, it was revealed that the original design of the structure failed to provide sufficient room for regulation padding. At a September 8th Council Meeting, Facilities and Protective Services Director Jim Rogers said that the reports completed by Architecture-Engineering Firm Field, Field & Field have so far been unsatisfactory. An initial report completed by the firm in July was rejected by the city’s compliance team for being incomplete. A second report delivered to the city last week was also rejected for failing to adequately answer the city’s questions. Rogers says the city’s team of industry experts feels that an adequate padding system is possible despite the size constraints. [asset|aid=234|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=Jim Rogers – Padding_1_Pub.mp3] – Advertisement -If the firm fails to provide an adequate report on the matter by September 20, the city says it will exercise its options under its contract with the firm, which may mean that the city will take over the padding aspect of the project at the firm’s expense.
– Advertisement -It was located in the area of the 255 and Airport roads, and Fort St. John fire-fighters kept the flames from spreading to nearby buildings and fields.However, they were unable to keep them from engulfing hay…and a truck and swather inside the barn….This is City Fire Chief, Fred Burrows….[asset|aid=2645|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=66c599da73131d13bdd4a196f710ad09-Chief Burrows_2_Pub.mp3] Advertisement There were no injuries reported, and police say charges are “not” being considered. By Dwight FordThe local RCMP says two young children, who built a campfire next to the building caused the fire in a large hay barn early last evening, northeast of the city.
By Tony Jackson STAFF WRITER Takashi Saito added another $50,000 to his 2007 salary on Thursday night by blowing away two San Diego batters and getting the third one to ground weakly to second base for Saito’s 38th save in his second season as the Dodgers’ closer. It also was his 50th game finished, and that statistic gave him another performance bonus and a salary of $1.15 million, with an outside chance still to max out those bonuses and earn $1.3 million. Even if he does max them out, he remains one of baseball’s best bargains. Saito has become one of the game’s most dominant closers barely 18 months after he came to spring training with the Dodgers on a minor league contract. He has converted 38 of his 41 save opportunities this season, allowed only four of 11 inherited runners to score and retired the first batter 47 times in his 58 appearances. And while no closer will ever pitch enough innings to qualify for the ERA title, Saito’s mark of 1.24 is the best among all major league pitchers with at least 50 innings. “I think Saito is one of the great stories in baseball since the day he showed up in Vero Beach and pitched his way onto the club,” Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said. “He has pitched really well, and he pitches efficiently. He shows the great value of throwing strikes. Most of the time, he is ahead in the count, and that is a good lesson for all.” Saito has been especially dominant lately. He hasn’t given up a hit in any of his last four outings, during which he has faced just one batter more than the minimum. “His workload during this last month hasn’t been steady,” Dodgers manager Grady Little said. “He might work four or five days in a row and then be off two or three days, and I think that has helped. A lot of it has to do with him throwing 94 to 95 miles-an-hour, but a lot has to do with location, too. And this guy doesn’t shy away from anything.” The best news for the Dodgers might be the fact they know they probably will have Saito for at least one more season. Although he is 37 and spent 14 seasons with the Yokohama BayStars, he is in just his second season in the United States and thus has the same status as any other second-year player. He won’t even be eligible for arbitration until after 2008, and the Dodgers hold the rights to him through 2011. Interleague schedule Although the Dodgers’ 2008 schedule remains highly subject to change and thus is a tightly guarded secret around Chavez Ravine, the Daily Breeze has learned that the club is tentatively scheduled to host nine interleague games against the Angels, Cleveland and the Chicago White Sox and will play six road games at the Angels and Detroit. Dates of those games were not available. The Dodgers have played nine interleague road games and six home games each of the past several seasons, and they went a combined 4-23 in American League parks from 2005-07. Thus, the fact it looks like they will host nine games next year while playing only six on the road is somewhat significant. Defying time As Dodgers employees prepared for Friday night’s pregame ceremony honoring Tommy Lasorda’s 80th birthday – which, by the way, isn’t for another week, when the team is on the road – the Hall of Fame manager said he does not, in any way, feel like an octogenarian. “People ask me how I feel, and I say I’m like those cars that come out of Earl Scheib,” Lasorda said. “They might look good on the outside, but you don’t know what is under the hood. But the key is staying active, and I also love what I’m doing. If a man really, truly loves what he is doing, then Old Man Sickness and Death will get tired of chasing him because he has no chance to catch him.” Lasorda has played an active role in the Dodgers’ front office – including extensive travel and countless trips to Japan – since retiring as the manager in 1996. firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Voodoo Venue has scooped the IMRO Best Live Music Venue in Ulster for 2014.Voodoo VenueThe Letterkenny entertainment centre took the award for the second time in two years this evening.Voodoo Venue manager Philip Ward said they collected the award on behalf of all the staff and the bands who have made the venue the place it is today. “This award is for all the local musicians,bands and customers who make the Voodoo Lounge and Greenroom Live what it is week in and week out.‘We are delighted to collect the aard and will continue to bring top class local music to Voodoo Venue,” he said. VOODOO VENUE WINS IMRO BEST LIVE MUSIC VENUE IN ULSTER – AGAIN! was last modified: February 3rd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BestdonegalIMROletterkennyPhilip WardVoodoo Venue
Story Links Nick McGlynn will represent Drake University and the Missouri Valley Conference in Minneapolis, Minn., in the Dos Equis 3X3U National Championship, April 5-7. The event will take place at the Mall of America, and will be streamed on Twitter Live with the semifinals and championship game being aired on ESPN2. Admission to the event is free, with viewing areas on all levels of the Mall’s rotunda.McGlynn, the 2018-19 MVC Defensive Player of the Year, will be competing for a share of the $150,000 prize pool including the $100,000 prize for the winning team. Joining McGlynn are Jarred Dixon of Missouri State, Phil Fayne of Illinois State, and Armon Fletcher of SIU.On Friday the MVC team is scheduled to face the West Coast Conference at 2:40 p.m. and the Southland Conference at 5:40 p.m., before facing the Ohio Valley Conference at 9:30 a.m. Saturday morning. All three games will be streamed on Twitter and can be found from the event’s Twitter page, @3X3UHoops.The event, which is in its second year, consists of 32 teams split into eight pools of four. The winner of every pool play game wins $1,000, and the top two teams from each pool advance to the knockout stage on Sunday with the chance to win the $100,000 grand prize. The runner-up wins an additional $2,000, while the third place team wins another $1,000.This year’s 3X3U National Championship is loaded with talented seniors from across the country, including Wisconsin All-American Ethan Happ, all-time NCAA three-point leader Fletcher McGee, and eight conference Players of the Year. Dos Equis 3X3U Information Print Friendly Version
Damien Mc Cauley demonstrates how weak the blocks are from his house built in 2006 . all the out wall have to be replace at his family home, and his family had yo be moved out. Photo Brian McDaidOne building block supplier has been responsible for cracks appearing in 97% of crumbling homes across Donegal, an angry meeting was told last night.More than 350 people attended the meeting of the MICA Action Group in An Grianan Hotel in Burt.The group was formed to take action against defective blocks which are causing homes across Donegal to crumble just years after they were built. It is estimated that up to 2,000 homes may be affected by the defective blocks which were manufactured between 1985 and 2010 and are now referred to as ‘weetabix’ blocks because of their softness.The meeting heard a promise from Junior Minister Joe McHugh that he will take the issue to the desk of Environment Minister Alan Kelly with a view to a meeting.A spokesman for the MICA Action group told Donegal Daily that they were delighted by the turn-out but were disappointed that no representative from Donegal County Council attended.“It was a very positive meeting which was attended by al our TDs and a lot of county councillors. “But we were very disappointed that nobody from Donegal County Council was there as they were invited to attend.“But the upshot of the meeting is that we are hopeful of now meeting Minister Alan Kelly to take our situation to him,” said the spokesman.He added that a survey of members of the MICA group found that one supplier, referred to as Supplier A, was responsible for providing the defective blocks to 97% of damaged homes.The spokesman added that it was only a matter of time before there was serious structural damage to a house which could result in someone being injured.“We have evidence that the structural damage is so bad that it is only a matter of time before a bison slab is affected resulting in a house coming tumbling down. “That is the reality as blocks get weaker and weaker and more and more cracks appear.“Our survey has shown that it takes 5.6 years for signs of the defective blocks to appear in houses so many houses may not even be showing the signs of cracks yet,” added the spokesman.The group said they will continue to seek new members from people who were sold the defective blocks.“We believe that up to 2,000 houses could be affected. If people see cracks they should contact the group.” MORE THAN 2,000 DONEGAL HOMES COULD BE AFFECTED BY DEFECTIVE ‘WEETABIX’ BLOCKS was last modified: November 18th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:blocksdefective homesDonegal meetingMICA Action Group
250 prospective students attended an open day and open night at Deele College this week, allowing the students and parents to take part in all of the classes and activities the school has to offer.Sixth class students, who were accompanied by their teachers and SNAs, took part in just some of the exciting subjects that are on offer in the new state of the art building in Raphoe.From creating 3D imagery in Technical Graphics to designing keyrings in Metalwork and Woodwork, the students got to taste all that the school has to offer. Boasting four top-of-the-range computer suites, the students were introduced to Kahoot, which is an electronic way of testing students on a range of subjects via computers, tablets or phones.In Music, students got to sample the various instruments and music technology that the subject has to offer, while in Science, budding criminologists sampled fingerprinting and other innovations in the world of criminology.Clay modelling of human skulls was the topic in the Art department, while the entrepreneurs of the future tested their business acumen in the Business department.Sporting enthusiasts were excited by the new fitness suite and full-length sports-hall before being treated to the culinary delights from the Home Economics room. The students got a full tour of a school that has received over €3 million in investment over the past three years and is now in a position to offer a 21st-century education to students in the local catchment area.All of the students were treated to a complimentary lunch in the new canteen before being taken back to their primary schools.On Thursday night, the parents of the 6th class pupils were given the opportunity to see the school, meet the staff and hear what the school has to offer both inside and outside the classroom. A short informal talk by the school principal, Mr Joe Boyle where he outlined the school’s goals in relation to student well-being and academic achievement.Parents also heard from Aoife McGinley, a past student of Deele College who is currently studying to be a Primary School Teacher at the Marino Institute of Education, where she is undertaking an Honours Degree in Primary Education. She spoke to the parents about her time at Deele College and explained how the staff at the school helped her in every way possible while she completed her Leaving Cert.This was followed by a student discussion on life at Deele College, which was based on Brendan O’Connor’s ‘The Cutting Edge.’ Parents were able to get the views of current students on what it’s like at the school and advice on dealing with the transition from primary to secondary school. The students showed their public speaking abilities, which they have worked on as part of the new Junior Cert English programme.Parents were also informed about the Deele College Transfer Programme, which takes place in May, where sixth class students spend some time in the school to help them familiarise themselves with their new environment.Picture Special: Prospective Deele College students enjoy open day was last modified: January 26th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:deele collegeDonegal ETBpicture specialRaphoe
Cllr Marie Therese Gallagher has called for progress on the establishment of a task force for the Donegal Gaeltacht to address critical issues of poverty and unemployment in the region.Speaking after confirmation that Glenties M.D. councillors are to meet with Údarás na Gaeltachta next Tuesday the 8th of May, Cllr Gallagher said:“I welcome that my proposal to meet with Údarás na Gaeltachta has been arranged for next Tuesday. I intend to raise the proposal to establish a task force for the Donegal Gaeltacht at this meeting. This task force has been agreed by the full council in Donegal but unfortunately we have not had buy in to the task force by the department or Minister as of yet. “The fact that this area of Donegal is at the bottom of the deprivation index in the country illustrates the clear need for a task force to encourage investment into the Gaeltacht region, to address all the issues identified within the deprivation report there is a need to have a focus on all aspects of life in this region. All star agencies need to be part of this task force to ensure the scourge of youth migration and emigration ends in west Donegal.“I am hopeful that this upcoming meeting may progress this proposal in the near future.” Task force sought to tackle deprivation in Donegal Gaeltacht was last modified: May 3rd, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cllr Marie Therese GallagherDonegal Gaeltachttask force
Rob Green came to QPR’s rescue with a fine save during a tense first half at Loftus Road.In a crucial match for both relegation-threatened sides, keeper Green dived to his left to tip George Boyd’s stunning 30-yard effort onto the post in the 28th minute.Burnley had caused Rangers some early problems, with Ashley Barnes shooting high and wide before Green recovered after dropping a cross to block Scott Arfield’s follow-up.After Boyd almost opened the scoring, Rangers went close too when Eduardo Vargas’ shot was cleared off the line by Michael Keane. QPR (4-4-2): Green; Isla, Dunne, Caulker, Yun; Vargas, Barton, Henry; Fer; Zamora, Austin. Subs: McCarthy, Ferdinand, Onuoha, Phillips, Mutch, Kranjcar, Hoilett. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
SAN JOSE — Still feeling the effects of a hit he took two days prior, Sharks defenseman Mario Ferraro missed Saturday night’s game with the Nashville Predators at SAP Center.Ferraro was injured in the second period of Thursday’s game against Minnesota after he landed awkwardly against the boards following a hit from Wild defenseman Matt Dumba. He did not play in the third period. Friday, Ferraro said he was still sore, “but recovering.”Tim Heed, a scratch for the last two games before …